No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possibly British or Eurpean orange Art Glass vase  (Read 881 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Possibly British or Eurpean orange Art Glass vase
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:03:33 PM »
Hi everyone. I am having trouble identifying this piece and would welcome comment. I am keen to know if anyone has seen anything like it.

Bought in England, I am guessing it may be British art glass pre 1960. The base wear is consitant with this. There seems to be a bubbly decor inside the glass, possibly soda, in three stripes. Its weight suggests some lead content. The highly polished pontil mark suggests quality factory production. It is about 9cm by 10cm in size. A strange aspect to the piece is that it has some colour change faculties, not neodymium but a change from deep red to orange, almost cranberry or cherry red when viewed through the vase with light shining through it yet it is orange when the light bouces off the surface. I am not ruling out other makers, Scandinavian, French or others, any thoughts very welcome,

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Possibly British or Eurpean orange Art Glass vase
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
Hi Robert,

The colouring in this previously confirmed S&W vase seems to have similarities..

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=41369.0

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »
Thanks Greg, I think the link to the thread is highly relevant, thanks!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »
Agree with Greg.  My vase is also weird colour wise.  It has an odd orange glow around the edge a bit like some uranium glass has a weird green glow around the edge in sunlight, and appears an orangy pink when the light is reflecting off it rather than through it as you say.

I think the outer casing is clear, it's the inner base layer or the coloured middle layer (which appears to have been made using powder for the pink) that contains some form of colourant that causes the orange appearance.
Maybe it's made with selenium in the mix for the pink and that's what causes the orange glow?

m

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »
Thanks for that M. The very same decor then. I have no idea about what causes this trick with light, it must have been deliberate as it is in both our pieces. They could have had a batch go like this by accident, then thought, let's use it properly! A rare trick I have not seen before, when I bought it, it was orange! It is cased in clear too, which reflects the colours nicely. I wonder if they are 30's design. I may try the archives one day as I live near Dudley and Stourbridge and go to check things from time to time ... the decor may be discussed in the patterns...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »
Robert, Steven posted this one recently as well.  I think they are 1930s.  There is nothing in the S&W book The Crystal Years.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58450.msg331159.html#msg331159

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
just throwing out another couple of suggestions, (top end) Nazeing or Grey-Stan? :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »
Hi Sue

Nigel has identified mine as Stevens and Williams.

I am presuming they are called 'cloudy' - there were a number of makers (see Hajdamach) who made a 'cloudy' type range in the 30s I think.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
I would never disagree with Nigel!
I've just seen similar multicoloured cloudy effects on Grey-Stan. It was a similar time period, one I'm a bit vague about;
but I can spot quality. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
I think there are similarities between them all sometimes depending on the piece :)

I've only had a few pieces of Graystan (and still have one, not cloudy) and they have seemed much 'finer' to me than the piece of Stevens and Williams 'cloudy' , the pontil mark is usually cracked off neatly ... and the way the colour is laid on is different.
There is a fairly good example of Graystan here:
http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH2725/

click the pic of the small yellow bowl at the bottom and it will enlarge.

and here:
http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH3276/

I have a trailed Graystan vase and that is very fine by comparison to the S&W,  but not like 'Venetian glass' fine at all.  However my Stevens and Williams piece weighs a ton and I would call it 'clunky' by comparison.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand