No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Verification of Paul Ysart Badge Paperweight with Military Cap Badge  (Read 3561 times)

Offline carlovision

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
A Paul Ysart Badge Paperweight with Military Cap Badge of the Royal Regiment of Artillery inside, Made in Scotland in WW2, Art Glass 1930s.

A 1930s - 1940s period "badge weight". by Paul Ysart. Several are known to exist with most being a standard paperweight containing a military cap badge set on a spattered ground. Paul Ysart made few during WW2 due to lack of colour materials in Great Britain.

This intriguing heraldic paperweight is blunted at the base of the Coat of Arms therein so it may be placed on its side to present its contents which read in Latin: "Ubique Suo Fas Et Glory Ducunt", or "("Everywhere That Right And Glory Lead") for the Royal Artillery. The Royal Regiment of Artillery, commonly referred to as the Royal Artillery (RA) and colloquially known as "The Gunners", is the artillery arm of the British Army. The Royal Regiment of Artillery comprises thirteen Regular Army Regiments, King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery and five Army Reserve Regiments.

Paperweight's provenance is of the important New Orleans collector, Felix H. Kuntz the Dean of Americana, (1890-1971).

Dimensions: About 2" tall and 3" in diameter.

*Anyone know its approx value? I saw wonderful ones here: http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=336&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Verification of Paul Ysart Badge Paperweight with Military Cap Badge
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »
Hi carlovision, welcome to the Board.

Sorry to start off with a moderator query / comment, but the wording of the text and the fact that the image is a screen shot suggests that the text and image are from a website rather than your own words and photo. If that is the case then the Board Guidelines on use of copyright material (at least for the image, if not entirely for the text) come into play.

Please see: ADMIN: Using Copyright Material under the section for "Board Information, Help & Announcements".

If the image is not your own or is not used with permission of the copyright owner, then it will  need to be removed. A simple link to a web page is acceptable.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »

Hi.  Many of these badges originally attributed to Paul Ysart are actually Belgian.  It would be useful to see both profile and base images, but I suspect from the coarse spaced frit ground that this is actually a b
Belgian example.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 10:43:24 PM »
Hi, first off i have all the pix you require but your system only allows for uploads of up to 120K so I had to resort to one screen capture which was under 120k and oddly my other 3 screencaptures were also larger than 120k. Is there a workaround?

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 11:08:17 PM »
As for the wording, its from a draft i have set up for a client to list it with Bonham's in L.A. I would like to show Bonham's your group's response as we evaluate this paperweight in order to keep their value.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »

Hi. I am surprised Bonham's would consider a low value piece like this - here in the UK they usually look for a minimum estimate of £400 to £600, whereas this would probably make only 10% to 15% of that.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
Paul Ysart Paperweight to verify
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
One more try - I could not reply to my previous post of same, so here are the optimized images and descriptive language.

A 1930s - 1940s period "badge weight". by Paul Ysart. Several are known to exist with most being a standard paperweight containing a military cap badge set on a spattered or moottled ground. Paul Ysart made few during WW2 due to lack of colour materials in Great Britain.

This intriguing heraldic paperweight is blunted at the base of the Coat of Arms therein so it may be placed on its side to present its contents which read in Latin: "Ubique Suo Fas Et Glory Ducunt", or "("Everywhere That Right And Glory Lead") for the Royal Artillery. The Royal Regiment of Artillery, commonly referred to as the Royal Artillery (RA) and colloquially known as "The Gunners", is the artillery arm of the British Army. The Royal Regiment of Artillery comprises thirteen Regular Army Regiments, King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery and five Army Reserve Regiments.

Dimensions: About 2" tall and 3" in diameter.

*Seeking verification and value. Thanks!

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Paul Ysart Paperweight to verify
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »

Hi.  Thanks for the extra images.  I would not be confident attributing this to Paul Ysart, rather than to a Belgian factory.  There are quite a lot of these badge weights around, and they vary in glass quality, frit style, and shape.  There are threads on this board discussing them - search for 'badge paperweight' and you will find several discussions.  Regarding value, I bought one a couple of months ago for £38.00, so to repeat what I said on your earlier thread, I am surprised Bonham's would consider a low value piece like this - here in the UK Bonhams usually look for a minimum estimate of £400 to £600, whereas this would probably make only 10% to 15% of that.

Alan

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
Re: Paul Ysart Paperweight to verify
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
Thank you Alan! I'll advise the client simply sell it online and fish a bit. More to come.  :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Both topics merged foe tidiness. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia