No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Verification of Paul Ysart Badge Paperweight with Military Cap Badge  (Read 3565 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Verification of Paul Ysart Badge Paperweight with Military Cap Badge
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »
Thanks, carlovision for the explanations about the original text and image.
Thanks, Allan for the responses and explanations.
Thanks, Anne for sorting out the merge of two threads.

All I would add to Allan's comments about Badge Weights of this type is that, as a serious collector of Paul Ysart weights, I hesitate when I see any similar examples.

I have two in my collection, one a regular domed weight and the other with the weight set atop a footed pedestal. The pedestal example was purchased from a former dealer and its provenance was said to be "from a member of the Ysart family". It is shown in my article on Paul Ysart weights etc. produced in 1999 / 2000 (scroll down nearly half way through the article). Since then, I have decided that I am unable to accurately judge the authenticity of any similar weight, with or without a pedestal, as being definitely by Paul Ysart.

In my article, I state that the ultraviolet tests of my pedestal weight "indicate Moncrieff factory". However, after many more years of UV checks on a variety of weights I can confirm that the UV results under longwave and shortwave bulbs often show no difference between "early Ysart" items and items that could be from a European source.

The only real clue is, as Allan touched on, the "glass quality and frit style", with some probable Paul Ysart ones (such as my pedestal example), showing very little wreathing in the clear glass and very few air bubbles around or over the encased badge.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline carlovision

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 10:09:04 PM »
(found the reply button! Must be logged in and browser wasn't letting me know the difference when logged out after some time had passed)

Regarding, the "glass quality and frit style", do my photo examples show wreathing in the clear glass and air bubbles around or over the encased badge? My naked eye sees a tiny streak of bubbles in the slight wreathing and then maybe 2 bubbles near the badge - all are small if you cannot see the in the photos.

Thanks for any new info on authenticity and value.

More to come.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »

Hi.  I thi nk it is mist likely Belgian.  Regarding value, I won a badge weight at a UK auction last week for the equivalent of US $35.00.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand