No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help appreciated with I.D for beautifull bowl. ID = Jobling  (Read 1352 times)

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Help appreciated with I.D for beautifull bowl. ID = Jobling
« on: August 28, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »
I found this beautiful bowl yesterday at the local collectors market and can truthfully say my photos don't do it any justice.  The underside is frosted with raised stones, water plants and bubbles, the inside is smooth and not frosted.  The effect is almost 3D, the frosted green with light reflecting on the polished inner surface makes it appear that you are looking through water

The base rim has "REGn APPld FOR" etched (by hand??) on it, my lower case letters are tiny upper case.  I can't see any sign of seams.

Am I right to assume it's pre-war as it glows strongly under UV light, my photo was taken in daylight with curtains drawn but the room wasn't really dark.  I'm also guessing that it would have been a Float Bowl with a statuette or flower frog in the center.

The diameter is 11.75 inches (30cms) and the height 1.75 inches (4.5cms).

Any help with it's I.D or any other info. would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Help appreciated with I.D for beautifull bowl.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »
This bowl is by Jobling. It's not a float bowl but a commemorative: it was originally available with a transfer of either George V or Queen Mary to the centre to mark the 1935 jubilee. It may also have been available with other designs later (I'm sure I've seen one with a different transfer but don't recall the details now). I've also seen a few like yours which lack the transfer. I'm not sure of they left the factory like this or if they simply have had the transfer scrubbed off.

The seaweed and bubble design was also used on a candlestick as can be seen in the 1937 catalogue.

Another example: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32933
Candlestick: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55126

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Re: Help appreciated with I.D for beautifull bowl. ID = Jobling
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
Thanks very much for the info. Mosquito, I didn't even think of Joblin.  If it ever had a transfer there's no sign of scratching from scrubbing to the underside of the central disc where I presume it would of been.  There are a few scratches to the upper side from usage which I thought might have been made by a stem-holder.

Not a bad buy for a fiver!  I was hoping to add a picture of it taken at sun-set today, it looked so good yesterday.  But the forecast is for rain overnight and the sky has clouded over so no sun :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand