No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large pink vase with gold leaf. Mystery signature? ID = Jean-Pierre Cinquilli  (Read 4742 times)

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Hi
Of all the glass I've bought over the last year, this looks the most beautiful so I'd love to try and identify a maker.
It has swirly shades of pink with gold leaf. It has a white opaline inner casing and is cased. The décor reminds me of an IoW pattern, but I haven't id'ed it yet.
It is 6.5 inches/16 cms high.
It does have a signature which I've tried to highlight using the flour trick (bit messy! I'll use talc next time  :)). I thought it might be Luigisomething, looks Italian anyway. I'm presuming Murano for now, but I'd love to hear any ideas as it's a lovely piece.
Thanks.

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Re: Large pink vase with gold leaf. Mystery signature?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 10:55:52 PM »
Incidentally I now think it may read Cuiquilli. I have found a couple of links to an art glass vase (in a very different style) that's been auctioned in the US, a rather stunning lamp being auctioned in Warsaw and a paperweight with a very similar signature being sold in Australia - so their work certainly travels! But I can find no info at all on this mysterious person.
 It's odd that they should be this obscure given the quality of the work. I rather think the other links may have misread the name in the same way as me as google doesn't even turn up anyone with this surname.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
The references you mention are all that I can find as well chasdevlin. 
The pieces mentioned look good, and your little vase is very nicely made.... I will keep looking and see if I can find any reference elsewhere. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »
But I can find no info at all on this mysterious person.

Try Jean-Pierre Cinquilli.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »
That's two signatures this week (or so) Anne. Well done!!

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
Try Jean-Pierre Cinquilli.

Many thanks Anne -that's made me very happy. I feel privileged to own such a piece.
Interestingly, some of the pieces I've found are attributed to both him and his son Samuel, I'm not quite sure how that works.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
I read that it's a family business but I don't know whether they use different signatures or they just sign their pieces for the 'House of Cinquilli' , if that makes sense.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
There does also appear to be a little squiggle sometimes that might be the actual signature rather than the company name

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand