No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Figurine Man blowing glass Older Baccarat? ID = Orrefors  (Read 3111 times)

Offline velva8

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Hand blown glass
    • United States
I purchased this crystal figurine from a reputable auction house that had it described as a baccarat figurine. There were two other figurines that were signed as Baccarat and one Steuben. I cannot identify the artist initials. It looks like "o/C" of I am looking at it the right way.  The piece is only about 4" tall and weighs about 12 oz. Could this be an older Baccarat piece? Does anyone recognize the artist marks?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Crystal Figurine Man blowing glass Older Baccarat?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB.              You might ask the auction house for the source of their attribution, although often if they are only a provincial house, they simply take the word of the seller as they don't mostly have the expertise in such matters..................   this is not to suggest they are being less than honest, but they can't be expert at everything they sell.
If all else fails you might contact Baccarat in France, they've been helpful to GMB members in the past -  sorry I don't personally have knowledge of this one, but fingers crossed someone here might be able to help.
May we see a picture of the whole figure please - thanks :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
I am wondering if this is 'Of' for Orrefors.  I collect figures of glassblowers made in glass, and Orrefors of Sweden have a series of Craftsmen which includes a glassblower.
I would very much like to see your figurine,   velva8 to see if it is like either of these.
The second one is actually The Metal Worker,  but is often confused with The Glassblower. 
I have added a picture of the Orrefors signature.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
I agree with Rosie. Orrefors.
An example of a signature on one of my Orrefors candle holders.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
perhaps time to inform the auction house it's Sweden and not France  -  I don't follow the reasoning as to why this signature might suggest Baccarat to someone  -  could understand it if we were looking at Baccarat's well known 'decanter, goblet and tumbler mark, but this mark doesn't suggest the French factory in any way.
There isn't an Orrefors as such now it seems  -  they joined with Kosta Boda in 1990 and in 1997 became part of the Royal Scandinavia Group.
Leslie Jackson mentions the use of Of as a mark on their art glass.
Well done to Rosie and Della

Offline velva8

• Members
    • Hand blown glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »
Wow you guys are good! Paul, I did try to upload pic but I couldn't get it small enough. The glassblower that Rosie posted a pic of matches it perfectly!
I am so glad I found this site. I love crystal and cannot wait to start learning more from you all!! Thanks bunches!  ☺

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
If it is Orrefors, the Auction House may have been swayed by the quality of the crystal,  it is very similar to Baccarat and also these are moulded pieces and many Baccarat pieces are as well.
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Which picture does it match  velva8?
Make your picture no more than 600 pixels across the long length and then the pic will fit easily. :)
Rosie.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 07:10:33 PM »
Make your picture no more than 600 pixels across the long length and then the pic will fit easily.
Good advice, but depending on the original size of an image, and the amount of detail it has, it might not reduce in Kb size to the 125Kb limit.

For help on resizing oics, see our thread on: TECHIE TIPS: Resizing images to fit the board. Personally I recommend the free online resizer at: http://www.picresize.com/
KevinH

Offline velva8

• Members
    • Hand blown glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip on resizing. That helped a lot. This is the figurine. Very happy with my purchase.
 Along with this and the Baccarat,  I also got a retired Steuben hand cooler.
Orrefors usually had their artist sign and number from my research. But apparently not on their figurines?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand