No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mould-blown decanter with Rd No 875688  (Read 1376 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Mould-blown decanter with Rd No 875688
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
Moulded decanter for ID, please:

875688 (outside date range covered by Great Glass and Blue Book).  (Permission for the re-use of this image on GMB granted by lesley123.2011).

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Re: another mould-blown decanter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »
RD  875688 was registered between October 1954 and  September 1955. It is in the archive register BT53/213, according to Angela Bowey, who shows one in Bagley Glass 3rd Edition, p95, that was displayed at the Knottingley Civic Society's Knottingley Glass Exhibition in 2010. I have one of these with the RD number too, but haven't got round to taking pics for the RD album yet. I don't know if Angela has details from the registers at the NatArchives, so it's worth adding to the Lookup topic methinks.

NB This isn't proof that they were made at Bagley, just evidence that they were probably made by a glassworks in the Knottingley area.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
thanks Anne  -  I'll get around to these in due course  -  so many I may have to take my hols this year at Kew ;)

Looking at the on line pages at Kew, the Representations reference would seem to be BT 52/7928, which covers the period 1st November '54 to 31/12/54.
However, since they've wrongly put '54 as the end date for Register reference BT 53/213, they may also have wrongly dated the Representations period.       Will have to wait and see.

If these items could all be posted to the 'Lookups', then it'll make it a bit easier when the time comes for my visit.

My copy of the Bowey Parsons book appears not to have an illustration of this item  -  it's a Second Paperback Edition - 3rd Printing, dated 2008.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:48:23 PM »
Thanks Paul, we'll get them added to the lookup topic asap for you. I wish I could take my hols at Kew - that sounds perfect - not for me the beach, sun and sangria,  I much prefer dusty old archives! :)

The decanter wasn't in the 2nd Edition, which came out before this information was discovered at the 2010 exhibition. It's definitely in the 3rd Edition though. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
Ref. Registration 875688 for another decanter bottle as posted above.

Registered to Whyte & Mackay Ltd., of Glasgow, on 24th November 1954 - who are quite likely to have been distillers and merchants only, with a long history it seems, going back to early Victorian times -  so no idea who might have made the glass.           Believe the brand name has been through various hands in recent times.

Representations reference is  BT 52/7928...........   Register reference is BT 53/213.   

This completes current information from Kew.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand