No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars boxes  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Whitefriars boxes
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »
When buying an antique; original condition is a key factor, whether that's the original parts or a box.
I know Whitefriars did use boxes with some of their items, but does anyone know what got boxes, what didn't and why?
Having the original box will of course make it more desirable. Does anyone have a comparison of values for both boxed and unboxed glass?
On another note I was going to upload this to the WF site but it appears to be down for me, any ideas when it'll be back?

Thanks in advance
Ben

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Whitefriars boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »
 ;D I really cannot be bothered with original boxes. They use up far too much space.
I would always try to find something without a box, it just adds to the cost and I'd only bin it anyway. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • Whitefriars, IoW and Scandi.
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 08:29:43 AM »
Table ware such as sundae dish sets and fruit bowl sets got boxes, as did whiskey tumblers etc. Commemorative items like engraved goblets and decanters and smokers or writing gift sets came with special boxes. Candle holders did too and I've seen a duck box and many paperweight boxes. I've never seen boxes for large textured vases though.

As for value I don't think there is a huge difference, a box may be nice to have but ultimately pieces are bought these days to be displayed. Indeed if I were after a tumbler set I wouldn't buy without a box they are that common.

The Whitefriars. com site has been down for a few weeks now and has lost its host along with many years of work put in by members. Apparently the owner is trying to get it up and running though.

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Shame about the Whitefriars website as its such a good source of info.
I see your point of view that glass is mostly on display so a box wouldn't improve the value that much.
I've spied a WF yellow sunspot with its original box, although a large ticket price has put me off so thought I'd ask before giving an offer!  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:08:25 PM »
I should apologise for being so negative.
so. I'm sorry for being so negative.
(it was brought on by having saved boxes a long time ago - and I just do not have room for storing tons of bits of cardboard full of emptiness. And it caused rows here.  :-[ )

I think original boxes do appeal to some collectors. So the problem then is to know which items are collected by those who want boxes too.

I'd personally hang on for another sunthing, cheaper, and without a box. Or offer the market rate for one without a box and see if the seller bites?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand