No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Patent 2433 ?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
Sowerby Patent 2433 ?
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
Another unusual piece of Sowerby glass which I think may have been made using patent number 2433

Diameter 13cm, height 5cm, illustrated in Sowerby pattern book XI 1885 Page 11 pattern number 1035

Page 11 has heading of: BUTTERS MIDDLES & c FOR PLATERS, SHEET FOR PLATTERS, presumably this is a dish for butter?

The outside ribs of the dish are blue translucent glass, not stained or flashed.

The bottom (inside) of the dish is marked SOWERBY'S PATENT

Is the patent referred to "Patent No. 2433 of 15 September 1871 for Ornamenting pressed glass with designs in glass of a different colour"?

This has been discussed before, some time ago, here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21014.msg118793.html#msg118793

Patent 2433 text:
The outer surfaces of vases and other articles made of pressed glass are ornamented with designs in glass of a different colour to that forming the body of the article. The ornament is formed in a suitable mould B having a counter­balanced false bottom C and a plunger A; the plunger and mould have corresponding bevelled edges a, b, by which all surplus metal is cut off from the casting. Directly the ornament is pressed the section of the mould containing it is fitted in the mould in which the article is to be pressed, this mould being constructed to receive it in the requisite position for ornamenting the article. The fused metal is then run into the mould and pressed to shape, during which operation the ornament becomes incorporated with the surface of the article. The ornament may be made in sections in one or several moulds.

If I understand this correctly, the outside colour (blue) is pressed in a mould, this mould is then fitted inside another mould into which the clear glass is poured and moulded to produce the 2 coloured article.

I can understand why Bernard C thought the process may not have been a success.

The original patent was registered in 1871, this item is in the 1885 catalogue (can't see it in other catalogues)

Did Sowerby try to revive the technique a few years after the original patent?

Am I on the right path with this?  :)
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand