No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco period thickly cased red/amber vase, mica inclusions - ID = Kralik  (Read 6379 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Kindly asking for you help once again :)

"Bohemian" 1920s/30s vase, ruby red thickly cased in amber, with mica layer inbetween.
Stands a little over 16cm tall, weighing 1.3 kg (!).
So somewhat unusual for Czech glass from that period, both the weight and the masses of Mica...

Base with circular ground out pontil mark, and a stencilled "CZECHO-SLOVAKIA" 2-line mark.

Here is another one, a little darker colours: >> Link

I am rather clueless about manufacturer... Perhaps one of the Bohemian glass experts has an idea which company could have produced this style of glass. The 2-line mark doesn't seem to indicate a particular maker.

Interestingly, this beautiful jug John posted a while ago seems rather similar regarding colours and Mica, though probably quite a bit earlier date wise: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51869.0.html
Thanks,
Michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Art Deco period thickly cased red/amber vase, mica inclusions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »
Lovely Michael, I thought of that jug too as soon as I saw the vase.

I can't now find any information on the various two line marks, must be looking in the wrong places...

None of this is any help!

John

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
Thanks a lot John!
I couldn't find this mark anywhere online, it is certainly not a known Loetz or Kralik mark.
Here is a compilation of various marks posted by Craig on CW, but my mark doesn't seem to be there:
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/222268-marks-too-many-to-count-and-many
The shape of the vase is very generic unfortunately.
Still the decor is quite unusual, and so is the heavy execution...

Michael

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Although the details like the split O's in the mark are not shown in the line art, it is representative of the similar mark in the line art I posted. That info was accumulated by the Czech Collectors Association many years ago.

This mark has been lightly associated with some Kralik production. The fact that it appears to be a stenciled mark with split O's would lean toward Kralik as a source. Kralik did use heavy mica in some interwar decors, although they are not all that common.

Although I can not say it is Kralik for sure, it would not surprise me if it is. The linked example identifying it as Harrach is not correct as far as I know. I have never seen that mark associated with Harrach in any way. .
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:57:50 PM »
Craig, thank you very much!
I noticed that the split O's are similar to the ones in the Kralik arched mark, but I had never seen a massive piece like this vase by Kralik...

The Harrach attribution given by the seller of the vase I linked to previously is just guess work I think ;)

Michael

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
My pleasure. Very large heavy Kralik pieces are not super common, but they are seen on occasion. There are also some decors they did which are quite nice, like this one, but are not commonly seen. Here is an example of their production in my collection which stands at a touch over 27 cms.  This one is marked with an arched mark with split O's.

I think the Harrach attribution is more wishful thinking than a guess...  :-)
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
I saw that on CW.
Phantastic piece...

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 09:17:44 AM »
While looking for something else I came across: https://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/kralik/1918-1945/kralik-goldglas/
So according to this site the vase is Kralik "Goldglas". :)

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 12:30:42 PM »
Beautiful vase Michael - I particularly like how the mica seems to be precipitating down from the top to the bottom.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 12:48:50 PM »
Thank you Sue! :)
Yes, I did like that effect, too. Enough to spend quite a lot of money :o

Googling for "Goldglas" doesn't bring up anything, so probably a newly identified Kralik decor...

John's beautiful jug (linked to in the opening post) should be Kralik "Goldglas" as well.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand