No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian drinking glass #2  (Read 2140 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Victorian drinking glass #2
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »
Oh dear......what a shame.....that is a very handsome glass!  Thanks for posting the extra pics......I have some panel cut glasses appearing from the boxes, so will keep Richardson in mind to check out.  Nothing as beautifully curvy as yours so far.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 06:59:16 PM »
My copy of Hadjamach's 1800-1914 arrived today and almost the first page it opened on gave me the attribution for this glass. Page 47, plate 32 page of wine glass designs from the Webb Richardson factory c1830s

There it is, top row in the middle.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 08:19:50 PM »
Bet you'll have hours of fun with that book.  Hopefully there will be something in one of the boxes of mine that you'll be able to use it on as well 😹
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »
I'm interested in glasses/glass specifically from this period 1800-1850 ;)  but mostly Bohemian/Russian/French interest. 
I just haven't time at the mo to check in frequently .
The book is fantastic.  Enjoy your read.

And well done for finding it in the book. 

m

Offline Laird

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »
You are in the glass topic that most interests me. In fact it is the only glass topic that gets my interest, Victorian and Georgian decanters and drinking glasses. I acquire any I come across and have a small collection, but regretfully I have no expertise in the subject, just a consuming interest, which I am trying to 'educate'. So, I am unable to add anything useful to Paul's invaluable and carefully considered comments on your glass, other than, if I had seen it I would have bought it without hesitation, and I would have categorised it as probably mid to late Victorian, rightly or wrongly. I don't have Paul's depth of knowledge and am unable to offer more than that.

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 04:39:21 PM »
Here I have a pair, not too dissimilar to yours, so perhaps worth looking at. The stems enclose an air bubble(?). The bowls are cut with flute slices and there is a 'Greek key' decoration round the rim of the bowls. The pontils are polished.
I have never considered these to be anything but Edwardian.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
flattery will get you nowhere ;)        It seems I was wrong on this occasion since I suggested a period later than it's apparently transpired.   
Oddly I rarely use those images in Hajdamach - probably because I forget they're in the book  -  must make effort to try harder.
But I suppose had neither the op or anyone else seen that Richardson pattern book extract in Hajdamach, we might have gone on none the wiser, and continued to think it was later in the C19, although to be fair to Jeffingtons the correct 'early Victorian' date was suggested at the very beginning - perhaps the op is a genius.
Pontil depressions, everted rims and hollow stems are quite common in the Victorian period  -  perhaps it was Richardson who might have been the innovator of this appearance.

Shame about the damage  -  I'd ditch the oh and invest the money in more books ;)     What the %/$*"  was the glass doing sharing a sink with a heavy porcelain pestle? :o       When washing such precious items, put a liner in the sink  -  something like quarter or half inch thick soft matting sort of thingy  -  plastizote is ideal.

Yes, CH's book is marvelous -  we refer to it all the time here, but   "Bet you'll have hours of fun with that book"  -  what is it that I'm not doing with my copy cat ;) ;)         Are you saying you don't have a copy?  :o

Anyway, all queries for early C19 clear drinking glasses now forwarded to the op for id. ;D

But, tell us why Edwardian in particular Laird  -  not criticism - just curious.

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
I don't have an an attributable anchor for thinking they are Edwardian. They just seem to have had an awful lot of work put into their manufacture. Somehow, I associate a certain degree of 'clunkiness' and robustness to Victorian glasses (of course I may be well off the mark here), while these are quite delicate, something I more associate with the Edwardian era. The glass of the bowls is thin compared to my collection of definitely Victorian glasses. Two rows of fluting have been cut into the bowls, and surely with such delicate bowls that must have required considerable care. I think these are possibly from what was an expensive set of table glassware. Anyway, for 2 quid a glass, I thought I should have them.

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 11:34:42 PM »
Laird, it would be good to see some more photos of your glasses, and more details about dimensions etc. The cutting on the stem looks quite fine. At two quid each I would have taken them home with me.

Paul, the OH wasn't supposed to be washing my wine glass. She meant well. She's not washed anymore since. I don't like to let go of the glasses through the entire cleanng and drying process. Can't knock them over if you don't put them down

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
Height 4.5 inches
Bowl diameter 2.25 inches

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia