No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rosenthal 60s vase —any idea re the designer ?  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
Rosenthal 60s vase —any idea re the designer ?
« on: September 25, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »

Hi,
Just wondering who might have been the designer of this vase.

The one on the link looks in some respects similar ( colour,rim,wall thickness )

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1195515-PICT7197/Glass-Vase-Philipp-Rosenthal-Green-club

Philipp Rosenthal died in 1937, I understand however his son Philip R entered the business in 1950.
My first thought was Wilhelm Wagenfeld but I’m not sure whether he was even at Rosenthal in the
60s.
Of course there must’ve been a no. of designers who worked for R at that time  - so unless records
we’re kept I can see it’s going to be difficult getting an answer..
Any thoughts welcome however.  Thanks for looking.  :)

Scott

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
Re: Rosenthal 60s vase —any idea re the designer ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:41:04 PM »
Hallo Scott
I now spend a couple of hours about your question, because I was absolutely sure that this signature is not Rosenthal. This signature is absolutely un common for Rosenthal, but in the end I ended like you at Rosenthal.
It seems that Rosenthal gave a couple of productions to Riedel, a good glass company, themself are more experts to porcelain. These productions I have the feeling are marked with the crown over the R. Rosenthal since ages is marking with Rosenthal and the crown in the middle over the word.
I found a couple of vases in this green and light pink, all marked with this single R and the crown. Some of them mention that Phillip Rosenthal himself made the design.
In the end this is all nothing new, but you had a question which might be never answered properly. I don‘ :Dt n know if Rosenthal will answer if you ask them directly. A lot of designers worked for Rosenthal, why not Wagenfeld, but the design I know of Wagenfeld is normally a lot thinner. This could be even an Scandinavian designer, Per Lütgen of Holmegaard made a lot of quite as looking designs, but so far I know, he did not work for Rosenthal.
Maybe you are just satisfied with designed by Phillip Rosenthal :D ;D
https://www.rubylane.com/item/1195515-PICT7197/Glass-Vase-Philipp-Rosenthal-Green-club

https://picclick.de/Well-shaped-formschöne-50´s-design-Philip-Rosenthal-323789506726.html

Monika

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »

Hi Monika
I’ve found some glass ( on the internet) apparently designed by Wilhelm Wagenfeld for Rosenthal with the crown and R mark.

https://en.design20.eu/objects/set-of-glass-patricia-wilhelm-wagenfeld-for-rosenthal/

Not sure whether this helps or just adds to the confusion  ???

I would like to think that mine was designed by him—its top/rim certainly looks a bit like the top of one of my
W W’s ‘ Turmalin ‘ vases for WMF - for the time being however I think I’ll stay with Phillip Rosenthal. ;D

Many thanks for your reply and input.

Scott

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 07:00:48 AM »

Hi,
Top of a W Wagenfeld ‘ Turmalin ‘ vase for comparison  :)

Scott

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 06:18:08 PM »
I just spend some time with a lot Wagenfeld vases. Your right, there are a couple with heavy glas, some even with a sharp rim, but the color is unusual. You find one or two, but mostly there is a lot more gray in his green. Your design reminds me very strong to Per Lütgen Holmegaard, but he never worked for Rosenthal. But Rosenthal has a catalog of the Designers on there web side, there you might find something, but that's a lot of work :P.

https://www.rosenthal.de/de/cms/unternehmen/das-unternehmen-rosenthal/designer-de/
Monika

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 07:34:11 PM »

Yes, I think it’s going to be difficult tracking down the designer.

I’ve had a look at the list of designers but it didn’t really help
me much. I also thought of P L Holmegaard but as you’ve said he never worked for Rosenthal  ???  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand