No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made this pair and when?  (Read 805 times)

Offline steve

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass from Italy or Bohemia/Cz
    • USA
Who made this pair and when?
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »
Hello and thanks for letting me sign up-

I've been told 1940's Japan, "vintage" Bohemian, 1960's Murano Italy...and Transition Art Nouveau circa 1880-1900...you name it. I've seen them called a vase, a pokal, a goblet, an urn........you name it! I've viewed hundreds of images and almost all with this green/gold style are hailed Bohemian. But very few have "jewels", almost none have handles, and the shape with the "shoulders" is non-existent...except for one other I've seen.
But no one can say definitively it is.........................what?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Who made this pair and when?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »
Hi Steve  -  welcome to the GMB.                   Have to say I've never heard of a 'pokal'?

I notice you've titled your picture Moser, and you say you have two.            Regret this sort of thing not my area, but that degree of banded gilding, plus the imitation jewels and green coloured base glass makes me think of modern Czechoslovakia  -  or at least second half C20 Czech.
Not guaranteed to help, but can you describe the extent of wear under the foot.

Depending on quality, which this piece may lack although I'm not really sure on that aspect, this might just be copying one of the older Bohemian houses such as Harrach or Moser.

Hopefully someone will recognize your piece and have the answer for you  -  fingers crossed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline steve

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass from Italy or Bohemia/Cz
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »
I did use "Moser", but only for my storage in the computer by topic. I can't look at the base now, since I won't be home for another week+. But if memory serves me right, I saw no wear or markings. But as I've said elsewhere, I'm going to have to get a better "looking glass"! (pun intended)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:42:50 AM »
In style and shape reminds me of Turkish/Moroccan tea/infusion glasses... ?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:56:16 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else see a human head with pointed "helmet" at the larger tips of the gilded "mandala" style decorative elements? Perhaps a middle eastern motif or a bit further?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand