No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sommerso Bollicine Vase maker or designer  (Read 934 times)

Offline Rookeryneuk

• Members
  • I'm new, but learning.
    • Mid-century modern
    • England
Sommerso Bollicine Vase maker or designer
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:21:42 PM »
Hoping for definitive ident.
Thanks

Height : 13.5cm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sommerso Bollicine Vase maker or designer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »
hi - regret I can't help in any obvious sense, and my ignorance will show very quickly I'm afraid.             Your picture lacks contrast which always a problem with clear glass and size is possibly a tad too small, so grateful if you are able to provide a little more information.          Not guaranteed to give the answer you want, but possibly might help, and if nothing else will make the post more interesting.
I'd always thought that Sommerso (submerged) needed an inner colour to qualify for this description, but obviously I'm wrong - assume your piece is clear glass throughout - with what looks like silver inclusions/aventurine ??            But I like the artistic shape - it's appealing.

Also assume bollicine is a more recent term than bullicante  -  presumably 'random' bubbles, as opposed to bullicante which defines a regular patterning  -  I can't see anything similar in Pina's 'Fifties Glass' - which appreciate a very limiting source.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Rookeryneuk

• Members
  • I'm new, but learning.
    • Mid-century modern
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 03:42:42 PM »
Thank you for your response Paul - much appreciated.
My ignorance, especially in regard to the nuances of Italian glass blowing/making techniques is all too evident.
What at first appeared to be the bubbles in this piece could well be "inclusions', they are entirely random but don't appear to have an identifiable surface colour or texture such as you suggest - Adventurine might have.
If anything, powdered clear glass is about as close as I can suggest.
I have taken another photograph which might be clearer, with more contrast. ( the size of the image is due to the original file size apparently being to big to post )

I'll have another go.   If it sheds any more light on the subject, please let me know
Regards
IAN

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
thanks Ian  -  vastly better picture  -  I think this might be a case of the blind leading the blind ;D           Photographing clear glass is often difficult but don't think you'll better this new one.
It's an intriguing piece, design wise, and from what I can see would be inclined to agree the inclusions aren't bubbles - possibly sand??  -  I know that Wedgwood (Stennett-Willson - in the U.K.) did some clear cylindrical vases which were made using finely grained sand which gave an appearance similar to your piece.      However, your suggestion of powdered glass may well be nearer the mark.
Aventurine/avventurina (not adventurine) refers to the decorative effect using metallic inclusions probably copper/gold/or silver, in the form of small flakes in very random distribution - very ancient method of decoration  -  mostly I think we tend to see copper coloured types here, although even iron filings have been used, apparently.       I get the impression that most pieces decorated in this way (aventurine) do come from the Gulf of Venice (Murano).

How the inner walled effect has been produced I've no idea, although obviously some form of intricate blowing technique is high on the list, and it may well qualify as summerso - we now need someone who actually knows what they're talking about, but think probably not bollicine, but a very interesting piece.

P.S.    in view of the apparently non-metallic inclusions here, I wonder if we should consider including Scandi. in the search area ?? -  also bearing in mind the piece is basically clear glass.

Offline Rookeryneuk

• Members
  • I'm new, but learning.
    • Mid-century modern
    • England
Re: Sommerso ? or Scandi ? Vase maker or designer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
Hoping for definitive ident.
Thanks

Height : 13.5cm

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:35:43 AM »
A clearly focused photo of the base taken from an angle so we can see the way base is finished might also help.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Rookeryneuk

• Members
  • I'm new, but learning.
    • Mid-century modern
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
Hi.

Base is flat polished, no makers mark I can see. Slightly oval 4.5 x5cm
Thanks