No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Identification  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Wendygwen

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Identification
    • Canada
Glass Identification
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:03:16 AM »
Hi:  I'm new, so hope I am doing this right!  I would really love some help identifying two pieces of glassware (same type of glass, different colours).   The tall one is actually shades of mauve in varying degrees of opacity; the short one is a little more opaque in pale peachy beige.  No determinable marks on bottom.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Glass Identification
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
Hi Wendy  -  welcome to the GMB ;)            You're doing fine - you might perhaps add some indication of dimensions for these pieces, which won't help with id or age, but it's always of interest.
If you hold the larger piece between yourself and a bright light, please advise the effect/colour you can see through the glass  -  there's just a chance you might see a strong orange/red glow - sort of opalescent effect - you may well not though.
We have people here who may have a good idea as to a general idea of origin and age of your glass, so fingers crossed they look in soon.

imho both pieces hail from eastern Europe  -  possibly Czechoslvakia/Bohemia - and somewhere in the first third of the C20 - perhaps a tad later, but let's see what others think.
Unfortunately, the absence of any identifying data means that it's very unlikely you will discover the actual maker.     You might advise if these are family pieces or acquired very recently from somewhere like an estate sale.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wendygwen

• Members
    • Identification
    • Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me and for the information so far.  The taller piece is 7" tall x 8" at widest, and yes, I do see an amber-ish colour when held to the light but it is not very deep or bright and not really very orange.  The shorter piece is 5" tall x 5" at widest and the colour is not terribly affected by holding to the light - as I said, it is a bit more opaque.  Neither piece is a family heirloom, I purchased them at a large market in the late 1970's while visiting family in Calgary, AB.  I just loved the glass and I know I would not have paid too much for them, but I just can't remember how much.  Hope that helps.  Actually very excited to hear they might be from eastern Europe as I have just recently done my DNA etc.  Eastern Europe is definitely where most of my ancestors originated so I like that aspect of this story so far!  I realize I may never know the maker, but if this type of glass has a name (ie: Fenton, Carnival, End of Day) I would like to know it.  Thanks again.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
the reason for suggesting a possible glow when viewing with transmitted light was a thought based on what appeared to be some suggestion of visible opalescence in your taller piece - your reply suggests there is much translucence with this larger vase, as opposed to the opaque smaller one.      Earlier in the C20 some makers used a variety of additives in their batch to create particular appearances  -  uranium oxide, calcium phosphate, arsenic, gold foil, aventurine etc., and this was separate to any surface decoration -  which your glass appears not to have.

Glass travels, frequently and far  -  people migrate and take possessions with them  -  they buy and sell pieces around the globe and material is distributed far more than you'd imagine.               Unfortunately, as already mentioned, your pieces lack any marks or specific features with which to feel confident of tying them down to a particular country, although I'd still go with eastern Europe.       In the C19 and early C20, I'm told the glass manufacturing trade in that part of the world was a cottage industry  -  often itinerant workers/families involved, rather than the commercial conglomerate stuff we are accustomed to now, and your chances of locating a maker is about zero - sorry to say.

Fenton is a States company rather than a type of glass - they are known for recreating some antique and vintage designs  -  believe they have made some carnival glass  -  if you go on-line you can view their current offerings - I think they've been going since beginning of the C20.

'End of day' glass has become an over-used complete misnomer for some of the marbled/coloured pressed glass, either originating in the mid C19, or applied equally wrongly to modern copies.          There never was a genuine Victorian glass product carrying this name  -  I have a feeling it seems to have originated in the U.K. somewhere in the mid C20, and must have appealed to collectors - unfortunately it has taken hold like Chinese Knot Weed.              I spoke to Raymond Slack some few years back  -  he was the author of a v.g. British publication on C19 pressed glass -  he told me he knew the name of the person who started this 'end of day' rumour, but wouldn't provide me with a name.
At the end of the day, glass workers didn't turn the 'pots' off  -  the logistics of heating the pots to a working temperature meant that factories worked 24/7 - either until they were forced to stop and replace the pots, or a fire burned the factory down - it happened not uncommonly.

My humble opinion is that your glass doesn't have a name - but I'm always happy to be proven wrong.      We're not getting input from others here - let's hope we can encourage them to look in. :)

P.S.   but you seem to have the best reasons for liking your glass, so love and cherish these pieces, and don't hold them with wet hands over a hard floor ;)

Offline Wendygwen

• Members
    • Identification
    • Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
Thanks so much, I appreciate the information.  I suppose one of the other reasons I was interested in knowing, is that I have been thinking to the future.  The thought of my children having to deal with my - very full house - after I am no longer here, has been weighing on me!  I have two grown boys and they are not collectors in any big way so I know I will be looking at selling things they are not interested in or things not particularly precious to me.  Would anyone care to offer a suggested selling price for these pieces?  I have no idea and as I said, I don't even remember what I paid for them.  Thanks again.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
1/................   correction:    it's Japanese knotweed  -  apologies for maligning the Chinese ;)

2/...............    regret we don't do values Wendy  -  this may seem unhelpful and not at all like the States where mostly their books and web sites  carry some sort of value for most collectibles.         Different people have very different ideas as to value, and if you polled a dozen folk you'd get a dozen different answers as to the value of your glass.
Difficult, I appreciate, to value something that lacks discernable provenance or attribution  -  our suggestion usually is to look on line for similar items - failing which enter into a local auction where most things find their natural market value.               Alternatively, you might consider donating to a op's shop (charity shop for us).                                     Wish you luck. :)

Offline Wendygwen

• Members
    • Identification
    • Canada
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:14 PM »
Thanks much.  I understand, of course.  Not ready to part with them just yet, but I know it will happen one day!  Thanks for the information at any rate.  Out of all the searches online I have done, I just haven't quite come up with anything that looks like mine.  I will keep looking. 

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:15 AM »
Wendy,
Make a collection of photos and any information you have about them. Then deposit the memory stick with your other papers and add the address of a reputable auction house/dealer.
All the heirs will have to do is send the pictures for valuation, and then make an informed decision.

There is no way to know the value in the future!
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand