No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green and Black Fan Vase - Czech, Tango?  (Read 868 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Green and Black Fan Vase - Czech, Tango?
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
This piece reminds me of the "Tango" line from 1930s Czechoslovakia, but I cannot find another exactly like it on the internet.  Any thoughts as to maker and age would be appreciated.

Charles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Green and Black Fan Vase - Czech, Tango?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:27:32 PM »
not a clue Charles, sorry.           Attractive piece - has the surface been acid washed - it looks a tad like a satin finish.                 Just looked through Ruth A. Forsythe's catalogue booklet of 1930s Czechoslovakian pieces which includes a lot of the usual orange, red and lemon 'tango' material - all with the black piping around edges etc., but didn't see this colour or shape.      What's the extent of wear, if any?

Forsythe comments   -   "all pieces in this book are marked"  -  presumably you can't find a backstamp  -  this author also says that a lot of the material originating from the 1930s, and showing in her booklet, was cased in clear, possibly quite likely much of this casing is thin  -  it doesn't jump out at you that her pieces are cased.

sorry this of no real help. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 08:00:07 PM »
We need Craig for this one, as Paul said, great looking piece  ;D

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
Paul - no acid wash, just semi-translucent green, sort of like milk glass but not. I should mention it has more “heft” than Tango pieces I’ve owned, which tend to be finer, thinner glass. This is also more free-form.  No wear but that doesn’t necessarily weigh against it being older.  It’s certainky possible it’s newer studio glass

Offline wiskyblandi1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • taxas
    • usa
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
Pretty much i want Where do you buy from?

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
A variety of sources, thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets, consignment stores.  A total waste of time if you’re after a single category of art glass, or even art glass in general because you might find something good one in ten trips.. It’s easy to accumulate mediocre pieces.  I’m an omnivore though, so I do ok. Although obsessed with glass I’m into lots of other things: cameras, bicycles, modern furniture, the list goes on.  Hope this helps. PS what I should but don’t do is shop eBay.  I understand amazing things fall within the cracks all the time, often because they’re incorrectly described.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
quote .....................   "PS what I should but don’t do is shop eBay.  I understand amazing things fall within the cracks all the time, often because they’re incorrectly described." ;D

On occasions that's true, but the cracks aren't signposted, and you're just as likely to fall into an abyss as slip into something nice.       Most of the time on line auction sellers don't share our care and integrity, and one bad deal can ruin half a dozen bargains.
With a subject like glass, it's far more sensible to be able to see and handle what you're buying before parting with the shekels - it beggars belief the difference in description that two people can arrive at when speaking of the same piece - it really is a minefield, and not for the faint hearted.
That's not to say honest folk don't populate ebay etc., but there is a minority for whom descriptive honesty seems to be on holiday, permanently.
caveat emptor!!

Antiques markets, bric-a-brac sales, boot sales and the old fashioned dealer, have a lot to recommend them. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand