No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight identification  (Read 2243 times)

Offline veitc

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art deco float bowls
    • Australia
Paperweight identification
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:02:35 AM »
Hi

Would love to know if this has a known maker or maybe a country of origin? It was bought in England

Would it be made in the 1950's 60's eras or be more modern?

It weights nearly 1.9 kg and is approximately 12 cm in diameter and sits on a flat base of diameter 6 cm.

In appreciation of any help
Thank you
Carole

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Paperweight identification
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »
Hi Carole
Welcome to the forum, your paperweight is typical of those made in China from the 1980's on, yours most likely more recent.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »
The name is for these recent weights is "Royal Crest". :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline veitc

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art deco float bowls
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Thank you Sue

I am thrilled there are experts out there that even know the name. I did some google searching (as much as you can taking out pinterest)
but still managed to get confused.  I have some very minor knowledge of some art deco glass and always admire the knowledge of other who are prepared to share.

May the end of 2017 and 2018 bring you lots of lovely nice surprises.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »
[Mod: This reply (by Carole) has been recreated from parts of a reply split out to another thread for assistance about a bubbled apple paperweight. Hopefully all will make sense in both threads.]

Even got a bit confused about replying as I just realised it is a continuous thread.

Thank you Nick for welcoming me and identifying the period.

I watched a TV documentary on the terracotta warriors tonight and some of the more interesting information that has been discovered in recent times.  When they discussed what was produced and how they think it was produced (not just the warriors) in China over 2000 years ago I am always amazed...so not too disappointed it came from China...almost around the world from there to England to Western Australia.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
Hi Carole, the terracotta warriors are in a different league to the modern mass produced (albeit handmade) paperweights from China (and sold through import / export outlets such as those labelled "Royal Crest").

Sadly, the mass production of Chinese weights over the past few decades has flooded the world with many lesser quality items. But things are improving and there are now some much better quality items (gift weights) being produced although still in high numbers.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand