No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: bohemian blue etched vase  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: bohemian blue etched vase
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
well, at least I can take a rest now that Kevin has joined the conversation ;D ;)

I don't know that there was much respect for the stag as king of the forest in the mid C19  -  more likely that stag hunting was a popular pastime, along with boar hunting, and much other hunting - trophies on the wall were very popular, and they probably shot anything that moved.
Such images were popular on ceramics and glass, and the geometric patterning - shown commonly on the Egermann pieces as Kevin has reminded us - has remained almost unchanged since the mid C19  ..........  if you have something that is successful then don't change it. 

Would agree it's just possible that your 'towers image' might actually represent some location from the real world, but not an easy one to pin down.           Never been to Prague but pictures I've seen do suggest it's architecture is visually very attractive.

I no longer have the book, but from memory there's a volume by a States couple whose name was Truit or very similar, and I forget the publishers too.        There's much Bohemian art nouveau glass depicted and seem to remember there is a lot of Egermann and similar stained glass shown in the book.        Perhaps someone here can post the full title of the book etc.            It's worth getting if you are interested in that style/period/fashion from the C19.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:50:26 PM »
The book that Paul mentioned is: Collectible Bohemian Glass 1880-1940, by Robert & Deborah Truitt, Published by B&D Glass, 1995.

As Paul said, there are many images of "Egermann line" items - they are reproductions in b&w of six pages from a Goldberg catalogue of the 1930s. Sadly, the images are too small to easily view details, but with patience and a magnifier, it is possible to get a general idea of the motifs used.

There was also a second book, published 1998, with basically the same title but for 1915-1945. It covers Art Deco and onward, but shows one "Egermann style" item from the Palda works and three from Exbor (the Exbor items are under a heading of "recent and continuing production).
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:00:35 PM »
thanks Kevin.

Offline rabugheida

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • vintage glass
    • france
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »
Hello there :D

I'd very much like to respond to some of Paul's interesting ideas and Kevins too, but now the idea to start a new thread seems a better place for it...
somehow I just got very busy, and as a newcomer here I'm a bit shy of starting a new thread myself
so I was wondering if you, Kevin would be able to do so?
It would be great to solicit as many pictures as possible from other members for a start...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 11:51:53 PM »
Please don't be shy, just dive in and if you get stuck holler for help, and if we see you going off base we'll guide you gently back.

Did I say welcome to the board already... if I didn't, I will now...  welcome! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand