No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: slag glass shade  (Read 817 times)

Offline tracyd

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
slag glass shade
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:40:07 PM »
This shade measures 5" tall 5" across the bottom and 2 1/4 inches across top opening. What type of lighting would this go to? Also any idea of a rough ballpark value? Want to list on ebay but not sure of the value of these (I have 6 of them.)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: slag glass shade
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB :)       This type of glass décor might be trying to suggest some degree of antiquity, but equally might have been made recently, and failing any useful response here it might be a sensible safety move to get these checked by an electrician.       From what I can see in your pix, there appear to be eyelets around the interior of the top opening of the shade - this might suggest these things were intended to hang on chains or similar - but I'm really only guessing - and it may be that there is some additional part to the shade that currently is missing.
They might well have been intended for desk lamps.
Would agree the appearance of the panels does suggest a slag or marbled type of glass construction, but looks can be deceptive on the screen - are the panels fully opaque, or is there some degree of translucence - the answer might provide a suggestion as to how these shades might be used.               Sorry this is unhelpful - fingers crossed someone better informed might have more positive information for you.

Regret we don't discuss values on the GMB - whether ballpark of other - which probably seems unhelpful in view of the many dollar values you guys on your side of the pond discuss freqently.         People here are amateurs and not professional appraisers of objet d'art, and our suggestion is always to search for similar items listed on both on-line and physical auctions. ............   failing which a call to antiques centres might be useful.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tracyd

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
Hello, Thank you for the welcome and the reply. They are definitely old, I do know that. I agree they may be missing "parts". They are fully opaque. I did a search on ebay for current and completed slag glass shades and a google search for images and unfortunately I can not find anything in the same color, shape or size. I did not realize you did not offer values here, sorry about that. Thanks again.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 04:23:39 PM »
sorry that so far we're unable to be helpful with your shades.              'Old' is a word often unqualified ;D - are you able to share with us something a little more specific as to date/age - and assume you have qualified provenance for their age.

Putting head on the block, and if I were forced to offer an opinion, and bearing in mind your confidence of age  -  I would suggest Continental Europe, possibly French or Belgian - and something influenced by the art nouveau style c. 1890 - 1910  ..............  in fact it's always possible that all the shades you have might even have been part of a single cluster display  -  having multiple units together was a fairly common practise.
These might have been used as downlighters in view of their opacity.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »
The fitting end is not a style I remember seeing before - not typical of either a shade for a table lamp or a shade that would be hung from a pendant type fitting (often in the centre of a room). I seem to be contradicting Paul a lot these days (sorry Paul) but that unusual fitting has me wondering if there original use was for up lighting.

Nice shades though either way.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:42:33 PM »
no problem John :)  -  feel free to criticize, you may well be correct about these being uplighters.          I suspect something is missing from the metal part of the shade - notably the bulb holder, then again if their age is significant then might these have been for gas lighting?.
Will be interesting to hear the op's reply regarding provenance for age and possible origin.

Offline tracyd

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:14:33 PM »
I have no provenance other than they were purchased at an estate auction. But having parents that were antique lovers and being around antiques my entire life, I can safely say they are old, whether they are officially "antique" (meaning at least 100 yrs or older) I cannot say, because slag glass shades are not particularly my interest.  The fitter end really doesnt have eyelets, I would say they are more like pointy teeth  ;D  I'm wondering if they would go to an oil lamp, maybe?? Looks like it may be a mystery :(

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
hi  -  if these originated in your part of the world then your thoughts on oil fired lighting might just be a possibility, but we don't know their origin so difficult to feel confident with that suggestion.

Doubts about age come as part of the territory here  -  so many historic styles/shapes/pattern have been copied, that looking at the screen isn't always reliable in determining age - you wouldn't believe the extent of copying that plagues the world of glass, so forgive our occasional scepticism.               Not your entire life yet, I hope ;D ;)

If you look at the majority of the shades that originate from the nouveau period c. 1880 - 1915 - from Europe - the style of yours with their single piece panels is unusual  -  most shades look to have been constructed from multiple pieces of coloured glass (think Tiffany appearance).

Think you're possibly right, and sorry to say but you may have to live with a mystery, though fingers crossed and better to live in hope. :)

Offline tracyd

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:41:44 PM »
Just for kicks, here is a photo the entire lot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand