No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not Monart /Ysart - Murano suggested  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Not Monart /Ysart - Murano suggested
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »
Moved to Murano as suggested.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 08:32:56 AM »
Thanks Anne. Carolyn if you edit the title on your first post we may get more help

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 05:17:21 PM »
Carolyn raised a couple of interesting points:
... But what about the averturine? And the colorations with the canes? (And why are they called canes in the first place?)
For the point about aventurine and "colorations with the canes", in the context of Ysart glass (where this message originated) both of those elements were indeed used by the Ysarts. But it was not something that only the Ysarts did. Lots of makers in lots of countries used aventurine and millefiori canes in their products - not least of which were those folk on the island of Murano. The way that the aventurine and canes were used by the Ysarts is often visually very different from other makers but not always so.

As for why canes are called canes ... well it's the English version of the Italian "canna" - which on Murano basically means a rod of glass. The term can apply to simple rods or complex ones made up of bundles of other rods (millefiori canes). Also, "cane" is sometimes used when talking about the separately made stems for drinking glasses as, by definition, that it what it is, a length of glass "rod".

For simplicity, people use the term "cane" to mean millefiori canes such as used for decoration for vases, bowls, paperweights etc. But strictly speaking, they should be called "cane slices" as they are indeed slices cut from a single length of cane.

In the late 19th century, Murano makers began to use the term "murrine" when referring to cane slices.

[My info on the meaning of "canes" is based on Venetian Beads, Mosaic Glass and Murrine by Giovanni Sarpellon]
KevinH

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 06:19:38 PM »
Lately I have seen 2 similar bowls, and both had the Fratelli Toso Castle labels. For years I havent seen any labels on these, except the generic scalloped red and green Venetian glass labels. I still dont think that all the bowls in this shape are by Fratelli Toso, but at least some are.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Information
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »
Thanks for the info. on the canes (very interesting) and on the possible maker. I've looked in several books and have not found anything vaguely similar in either the shape (apart from Christine's picture) or in the colouration.

I'm totally confused.  :?

Now,  I have redone the request for information, with a link to the pictures, but I have no idea how to change the title of this thread. If anyone knows, please feel free to do so or send me instructions  :?:

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 01:11:26 AM »
Hi Javier, just visited your site (via a search for the Fratelli Toso bowls). Wow, I can only say "Got glass?"  :)  (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I have now come up with some specific questions about the colouration of my bowl.

1. In the pictures I have seen, the glass tends to be translucent, but I have at least two layers (pink and white) that are opaque.

2. Again, in the pictures I have seen, bubbles seem to be a major part of the design, either scattered throughout or in a specific pattern. I don't see any bubbles in mine (but there may be a couple in the top clear level)

3. Rather than have just one colour throughout the piece, I have a background of the deep pink, but also have some splotches of what look like be melted multicoloured canes. (See, I'm learning the lingo already  :shock:  )

4. Normally, the aventurine appears to be evenly spread, but in mine, I have dots of the aventurine.

I cannot find a picture of the colouration like mine (never mind in a bowl like mine) anywhere. My theory is that either it is (was) so common that nobody could be bothered to take a picture (dubious) or that it was so rare that there were none to take pictures of.  :?  You tell me.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 03:28:16 AM »
Hello Carolyn,
I have seen a multitude of different color combinations, styles, and ways the different layers are applied, so dont be surprised that you havent seen the same bowl you have. The shape is very common, but yours is a little more unique than most with the large applied flower murrines.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand