No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uncommon ‘thistle’ mark on moulded glass pieces – more info, please?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
On plate 7 of Shelagh Murray’s book “The Peacock and the Lions – The Story of Pressed Glass in the North East of England’ there is shown
Cauldron-shaped jet basin (probably Scottish) with thistle pattern mark, and jug. Basin 9cm high. Jug 7cm high.

Unmarked similar pieces are not uncommonly seen (often attributed to Davidson or Sowerby, though I know of no definitive evidence for those putative attributions).

Now here are some photos of a pressed glass mug or can in transparent blue glass, marked with a thistle mark (partial in places ) on its base. The sides of the piece are decorated with a pattern very similar to Davidson’s 1885 hobnail pattern BUT overlaid with a chain of loops or swags. It measures 10cms high with a 9cms diameter top and bottom and weighs 478 grams.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

I note that a thistle’ mark is mentioned in reply #3 onwards of
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22778.msg128678.html#msg128678
in connection with
A. M. Allan & Co., 1867 - 1907 ?? Forth Glass Works, Firhill, Glasgow, Pressed glass bottles, medical bottles.
In the same topic thread, Chris Stewart also mentions a possible connection between  a ‘cauldron’ basin and Davidson, and that Davidson may have bought some of Allan’s moulds.

Does anyone have any more information about this (or any other) ‘thistle’ mark, please?

Does anyone have any photos to show of other pieces bearing a ‘thistle’ mark, please?

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Uncommon ‘thistle’ mark on moulded glass pieces – more info, please?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:57:07 PM »
Hi,
My fathers been on about this thistle mark for years, attached are the three items you can find on eBay and sometime attributed to Davidson.
Did anyone find out who the manufacturer was, so I can clear my fathers curiosity.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:08:32 AM »
Allan's certainly produced pressed glassware - their entry from the 1883 Cork Exhibition Catalogue mentions it...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/A._M._Allan_and_Co
A. M. Allan and Co.of The Forth Glass Works, Panmure Street, Glasgow
1868 Company established by R. B. Watson. Continued as R. B. Watson and Co, Ellis, Allan and Co and A. M. Allan and Co.
1914 Glass manufacturers. Specialities: table ware, ship side lights and deck lights. Employees 70.
and from:
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1914_Who's_Who_in_Business:_Company_A
ALLAN, A. M., & CO., Glass Manufacturers, The Forth Glass Works, Panmure Street, Glasgow. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1868 by R. B. Watson. Continued by (1) R. B. Watson & Co.; (2) Ellis, Allan & Co.; (3) A. M. Allan & Co. Present Principals: Alexander M. Allan and Stephen S. Allan. Premises: Cover one acre. Staff: Seventy. Specialities: Table Ware, also Ship Side Lights and Deck Lights. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 14 Kelvin. Telegraphic Address: " Tumbler, Glasgow."

https://www.sgt.org/wp-content/uploads/jsgt/JSGT_1918%20Proceedings.pdf
shows that Alexander M. Allan was a member of the Society of Glass Technology in 1918.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
Thanks Anne/Fred, that's great.

I've managed to resolve quite a few of our unknown pieces from this forums previous posts and gallery and very grateful for the help of everyone's  comments. We are slowly working through a list of 200 or more pieces. And it's getting smaller every week and not looking such a daunting task.

At the beginning of January  we had a list 1450 pieces that I have transferred onto a computer only to keep being introduced to boxes of additional items not listed..

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand