No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blown Glass Charity Shop Find  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Blown Glass Charity Shop Find
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 03:21:09 PM »
if you read to the end of that thread John, the conclusion seems to lack a definitive provenance for Davidson  -  it all appears to have become muddied.                   Do we know if the Stewarts confirmed the Davidson attribution as correct?  -  and were they involved in neodymium glass?

p.s.  I know labels is labels etc., ...............but just for interest, and looking in McConnell's Miller's offering, he shows something very similar with that amber/yellow border - and quotes Czechoslovakia and the States, but not a hint of the word Davidson.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 03:45:20 PM »
I feel terrible now selling these years ago as Murano well done John a new thing learnt and almost unbelievable.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
Good Paul is a sceptic imported maybe?.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 04:21:54 PM »
The one on the right Some one has posted in a general glass Facebook site typical White back ground with copper avenrurine greens and silver I can't copy and paste the pick at the mo due to pixel limit.
Chris Parry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »
You are right Paul, did not have time earlier to read through that thread, just remembering Davidson. I can confirm that plenty crop up here in Britain, seen quite a few over  the years. Fairly sure I had one that was all bright yellow, three prongs sticking up and spiralling around a bit, this shape:
http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/images/items/other_glass/misc_glass/otherglass_sculp01.jpg

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »
John - I wasn't trying to be clever or wise, since am certain you know 100% more than me about these Cocquille knock offs - it was just that the Davidson reference seemed not to come to a positive conclusion - but who knows, maybe they did import these things.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
None of us knows anything certain about who the maker is, that much is clear! All I can say about them is that it looks like they were produced in reasonably large quantities, they fit in very well with the current fashion for retro furnishings from the 60s and 70s. Much like the tall Italian decanters with the pointy stoppers their stock is probably higher now than at any time since they were manufactured.

Calling them Coquile knock offs is doing them a big disservice, they were not made to deceive they were produced to service an eager market, probably quite some time after Flygsfors went out of business too.

Far too often I hear similar, this is a knock off, that is a copy, nearly always rubbish in my opinion, every company will try and make products that suit the current market and fashion so no surprise if there are similarities. Fakes are made to deceive, the only glass example I can think of off hand are the paperweights with faked Paul Ysart signature canes. This is an entirely different dynamic to a seller claiming something is X when it is really Y, usually through ignorance or greed. Adding a fake signature does not make a given object a fake either, just the signature.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 01:02:47 PM »
thanks John - I take your point and stand corrected and promise I won't call them 'knock offs' again ;D             Perhaps what I had in mind was that a signed Paul Keldev original might fetch a tad more than one of these unattributed and unsigned examples           ............   In many ways a parallel situation to the free form low bowls originated, possibly by Per Lutken for Holmegaard in Sweden (his are signed), and subsequently made by the world and his wife  -  and again where the early signed pieces are now very sought after.

p.s.   assume everyone knows what I'm talking about re this Lutken design - without a reference picture to hand.

Offline Lucyinthesky

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Midcentury Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
Perhaps I’m still no clearer as to who made these, but I’m certainly impressed with everyone’s knowledge and I certainly found it enlightening! Starting to appreciate the history of sculptural glass.

Forgot to add, that the pieces do have scratching on the base, which I guess shows some age.

A conundrum, but a very satisfying charity shop find!

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
Google "chalet glass catalogue " you can see several pages all with similar designs no wonder it's confusing not sure if I could put the images on here. If so could someone put a link on or copy the page please.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand