No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness news  (Read 7838 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Caithness news
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 05:46:04 PM »
And Lindean Mill, Tweedsmuir, Duncan Smith. In cutting Denis Mann, Burn's Crystal - but no-one to train cutters to any extent. A lot of other studios too.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 07:32:32 PM »
Even better news is that some of Frank Thrower's designs are being reintroduced  to mark the forty years of Dartington Glass! there are millons of young born since the production of many of these designs ceased, and would appreciate the unique design talent that Frank had in spades! remember he re -introduced variants of Georgian glass ( "Victoria..a bit on the side---board!", Rummer  Suite & Ship's decanter, "any port in a storm?") with a modern twist.....
Stephen

Hi Stephen, do you know/are you able to tell us which of Frank Thrower's designs are being reintroduced for the 40th Anniversary?

Offline twenty_zero_six

• Members
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 07:47:33 PM »
I can help there Pip, the range has been out since February and were only brought back for this year only until late Dec, but there is:

ST2349/P/40th Port Glass Pair (I think these are based on an earlier F T design but i cannot remember which one) in 24% Lead Crystal
DE2349/40th Ships Decanter (Which was one of Franks first Decanters) in 24% lead crystal
ST115/9/p/40th Sharon Celebration Flute (A taller and larger version of the Sharon champagne flute, designed in 1971) in 24% lead crystal

All the items come with a certificate of authenticity and are marked on the bottom with a D with 1967-2007 on it.

The range can be viewed here: http://www.dartington-test.co.uk/acatalog/40th-Anniversary-Celebration.html

In 2005 Rummer and Imbiber were also re-introduced into the Glassware lines, see http://www.dartington-test.co.uk/acatalog/Drinkware.html but they are slightly different to the originals. Mia, Wibble and Grip are also very much Frank Thrower themed as well although they were introduced this year. I was fortunate to go to a few exhibitions of Franks work this year and they have been excellent.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 08:22:11 PM »
Cheers for the info - that's great!  I wasn't able to get to any of the exhibitions sadly but I bought the Eve Thrower book which is really interesting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand