No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina squat vase - any info?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Mdina squat vase - any info?
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
Hi
I've had this Mdina piece for a while and I'd like to know more about it as it seems quite unusual. It's quite an unusual shape..just 3.5 inches but quite wide (18.5 circumference). In some ways it resembles the'sea and sand' pieces, but the lines are more regular and patterned than the random trails pieces. There are also brown paisley type shapes ( they look a bit like sperm- but that might not be the most attractive way to describe it!!  :o). I wondered if this might be an early piece? Or whether anyone knows the pattern? I'm afraid the base came out a bit blurred in the photo, but it's the usual Mdina flat base (no signature).
Cheers! G

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
Re: Mdina squat vase - any info?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:12:24 PM »
Hi there,

In terms of its shape, it’s a pretty normal shape for Mdina, they often had many shaped vases but I’ve seen this shape a fair number of times. The pattern is often referred to as ‘chevron’ but this is incorrect, it’s actual name is the ‘Roman’ pattern I only know because Joseph said and Olivia Said (head of production and his daughter) referred to it this way when I had fish vases made in this same pattern. Not early sadly, it’s hard to date as they still produce pieces with this same pattern today, my guess is is that its within the last 30 years or so but I wouldn’t like to say for certain, but definitely post 80’s and likely 90’s 00’s but someone else may be able to better tell you.

Well made though and lovely colours on the vase, it’s a good clean example!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »
This "Roman" pattern is a Joseph Said design.
It comes in two forms, one where the decor is on the surface, like this one, and another, cased in teal, which makes the colour a much brighter and deeper yellow.

They are sometimes found with comet-y iridescent trails on them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
Thank you to both of you. That's really helpful and informative.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand