No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: source of old photograph paperweight?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Joey74

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
source of old photograph paperweight?
« on: March 28, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »
I've inherited a paperweight that I believe contains the photo of a family member. Unfortunately, none of my living family members can identify this person. I'm wondering if there is a way to determine a maker or even a region where it was manufactured? Family roots in San Diego, CA (most recent), New Jersey, St Louis, New Orleans and then further back Ireland and Germany.

There is kind of a V scratched into the bottom, but its likely a scratch rather than a mark.

Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: source of old photograph paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:25:26 PM »
In the early 1900's and late 1800's these were produced in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. It's difficult to identify a particular factory or person. There used to be some cemeteries in western Pa. that had this sort of item encased in the tombstones.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Joey74

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
That is actually very helpful because one branch of my family is from New Jersey and one branch is from Nebraska, so it lends credence to the idea that this is a member of the New Jersey branch.

Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:48:41 AM »
Hello Joey ...I have one made by the inventor of this method and it was made by William H Maxwell and it can be identified as being one of his by the concave pontil mark to the base . You might find this topic of interest ....

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48467.msg273312.html#msg273312
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand