Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > New Zealand & Australia Glass

Hoglund Art Glass Studio

(1/1)

PaulFitz:
Hi all,just thought i would post some of Ola & Marie Hoglund`s work.There has beenquite a few occasions in the past and then only last week when i have told people about his/their work and the response i normally get is "he/they makes penguins and small vases & bowls,don`t they?". Here are some photos of some of their work that i have that i would like to show that is not the case.

Photo 1 is their Incalmo work.Large plate is 58 cms diameter and weighs around 7 kgs.

Photo 2 is some of their early work soon after setting up in Nelson,NZ.All were made in 1985.Tallest piece is 29 cms.

Photo 3 is of a Rainforest Graal vase weighing !0 kgs and 3 Sommerso pieces.

Photo 4 is of course the penguins.Largest being 19 cms tall which is a long way short of one that he made at around 45 cms tall.

Thanks,Paul.

brewster:
Thanks Paul.

That is a serious collection of the Hoglund's work. I agree that they are highly skilled and diverse makers. I have only a few pieces incidental to my collection of Australian studio glass: an early bottle from 1985 with the tall neck and ring like those in your second photo, a small bowl and - yes - a penguin.

I have read that they have a second (Winter?) studio in northern Queensland, but I've never followed up to see what they make there.

Trevor

PaulFitz:
Hi Trevor,
thank you so much for looking and your thoughts.You are so right about their diversity of work,obviously comes from their training at Orrefors & Kosta Boda.
Unfortunately they closed the Queensland operation and opened another one in Otago,NZ,another beautiful place in the world.
Cheers,Paul.

APEXantiques:
I thought I'd add to your collection of Hoglund Art Glass (N.Z.) with this piece I was able to pick up on the secondary market relatively cheaply!

ahremck:
I have been to the Hoglund Studio.  I was a little disappointed as much of the works designs at the time seemed to be based on Orrefors designs and I like something distinctly their own design.  I found this vase that I really like the colours of as well as the bubbled glass treatment that was very different to the rest available at the time.

Ross

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version