No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: German Glass - Roemer Style but Label Doesn't Match  (Read 1390 times)

Offline justjeff

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage and art glass, crystal
    • Richmond, VA USA
German Glass - Roemer Style but Label Doesn't Match
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
Picked up this single piece here in Richmond, VA US. I thought the label would help me id this easily but searching Vohenstrauss only brings up the town but no artist that matches the label. Anyone recognize this mark and how do you describe this style? I only mentioned "Roemer" because it seems most of their glass matches this style. Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: German Glass - Roemer Style but Label Doesn't Match
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
Hi  -  you may struggle, permanently, to find the maker  -  this shape has been made for a very long time by just about every glass manufacturer in that part of Germany, but you are correct with the word roemer, and made usually in some shade of green, and intended for white wine I believe.               Not to be confused with rummer - an almost uniquely British drinking glass -  almost always in clear glass and a very different shape.
Nice glass by the way  -  probably modern - and I'd suggest made for the tourist market, but a very good find  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
Not too easy to find specific detail relating to the label, although a google search (excluding "pinterest" entries) shows a few pages with evidence of the same label for boxed "home wares" or "tourist wares".

And a couple of references give "Kunze" as a possible clue - but it may simply be a "home wares retailer" in the town of Vohenstrauß, where, apparently, the "Kristallglas raffinerie" is situated. But the refinery could be a "finishing company" applying decoration to glass and porcelain items.

There is a current American eBay listing for two similar "wine glasses" which states "1970s" and "Kristallglas Raffinerie Co in Vohenstrauss".
KevinH

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:52 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for the replies. I have to admit I thought "Roemer" was the manufacturer and not the style so that was helpful. I guess it makes sense but everything I seem to be finding from overseas leans "tourist-ware". I'll pursue the "Kunze" path a little ways to see if anything pops up but right now it sounds like this is simply a common German roemer glass with the village/town's name on it.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:12:46 AM »
for obvious reasons tourist glass travels the most - hence why such pieces predominate in places far from their origin, although all glass travels to some extent.             I doubt this one was ever made to be used - just a memento of someone's holiday, but it's attractive.
Roemers make for a good collecting theme, the problem being that those from the C15 and C16 tend to cost an arm and a leg. ;D
Traditionally, the coiled stems were decorated with raspberry prunts (slightly flattened copies of the raspberry fruit), and the origin of the word may possibly be from the Lower Rhenish word 'roemen', which apparently means to boast, and seems the spelling is sometimes rӧmer, but no idea why the two spellings.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 04:47:56 AM »
Römer = roemer  the German character ö is the equivalent of our oe sound. :)

My son collects this type of glass but as yet hasn't starting finding out about their makers.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:33:54 AM »
thanks Anne  -  don't envy your son  -  these things exist in unbelievable profusion and variety.                              My source for the spellings was Harold Newman's 'An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass' (1977), so a tad dated perhaps now, but I notice he quotes the following as a primary source of information (in 1977) for these things ................... "For their development and many illustrations, see Journal of Glass Studies (Corning), X (1968), p. 114, and XI (1969), p 43". 

Am sure there are more up-to-date books for these things, though possibly Continental published volumes, since Germany is the source for probably all of them.
sorry, can't seem to get rid of the italics ???

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:40:49 PM »
quote  ........................  "since Germany is the source for probably all of them."      Rubbish - found one in a charity shop this morning, on the bottom of which was impressed  'MADE IN FRANCE' :-[

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 04:47:11 AM »
Yes quite a few of my son's are French too, Paul. Some of his are marked Luminarc France, others just France. I have a few catalogues with them in to try and match up for him, but I've not had the time to look into them yet!  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:16:41 AM »
quote  ........................  "since Germany is the source for probably all of them."      Rubbish - found one in a charity shop this morning, on the bottom of which was impressed  'MADE IN FRANCE' :-[

Yep, just ran into a "France"- labeled roemer today. Definitely Luminarc, Arcoroc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand