No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina glass candlestick 2  (Read 10831 times)

Offline fatbelly

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nice things
    • Uk
Re: Mdina glass candlestick 2
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »
I think you are spot on.The darker edges where the glass is thinker on the blue vase is about a perfect match for it without the lustre.
Nice pieces shown too.
FB.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
It's not the teal Fish, but the very small one on the right. It has that grey-blue in the wings. You can compare the blue with the teal one, just above it.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 03:10:20 PM »
It’s much darker than that.I see what you mean but looking close up the actual colour is dark grey blue swirling with the yellowish swirl and the iridescent finish.Its not teal from what can see close up its very difficult to capture.If the iridescent finish wasn’t there it would show mostly dark blue but that might just be the thickness of the glass.
Anyways i think it’s lovely little piece of Mdina and I’m happy it’s a Harris period piece.
Thanks for the imput and taking time to help
Appreciated.
FB.
Do you believe it would have a pair out there somewhere or were they made as single sticks?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »
Each one will be absolutely unique. Such things would be absolutely impossible to replicate accurately, the individuality of each bit depends on exactly how that bit was worked, down to the last tiny flick of a wrist or finger. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »
Here are two of mine . The one on the left has a wider bowl and more of a chunky look the second photo shows how different it looks with flash !
Mike

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
Nice!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 08:11:49 AM »
With many pieces of Mdina the colour perceived will depend on whether the item is backlit or not - whether light passes through the item or it bounces off the surface, the effect is dichroic. To show that effect with the paperweight required a strong source of light - in this case the paperweight is sitting on my phone.

In these two photos of the same vase the first is backlit - the light source is behind the vase, in the second the lights are in front next to the camera.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
John........

What an amazing vase and image, beautiful.

Regards,
               Patrick.

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 09:59:57 AM »
Hi John.
Yes i agree with that but no matter how I passed light through the stick it never came up amethyst.It would be better if it did as that’s the colour my wife prefers.
Nice pic affects on your vase.A thing of beauty.
FB.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »
Only ever seen these trailed knops made in amethyst or green/blue. Yours is not the green, it is however to my eye quite obviously the amethyst. If you put a strong light source right up close behind it that is what you will see, a torch light on a phone works well because it is intense and localised.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand