No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black milk glass creamer Davidson or Greener?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Black milk glass creamer Davidson or Greener?
« on: May 01, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
Good evening folks, anyone recognise this nice little creamer, with distinctive leaf design. Could this be an unmarked Davidson or I also think the handle looks like a Greener item.i cannot find anything with a similar pattern.
Thanks Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Black milk glass creamer Davidson or Greener?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
This isn't a pattern I've come across before, Mike.

No match in the Davidson unregistered designs 1880-1890 catalogues.

No match in my reference files of Henry Greener or Greener & Co. unregistered designs either, unfortunately.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:11:57 PM »
Thanks for looking Fred, by the way I am keeping  photos of all the pieces I have been listing and one day hope to load them to the gallery if there are no records of them. There is a Davidson sugar cat 146 listed at present.
We have the peacocks and lions book and a few pressed glass collectors club Phamlets  on Greener do you know if there are any other good references to Henry Greener registrations?
Cheers Mike

I’m going to the Birmingham glass fair this Sunday so I may find out a bit more there?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
The general "go to" books on British design registrations that I use are are still:
'The Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908' by Jenny Thompson
'English Pressed Glass 1830-1900' by Raymond Slack
'English 19th Century Press-moulded Glass' by Colin Lattimore
'British Glass 1800-1914' by Charles R. Hajdamach

with individual factory monographs:
'Sowerby - Gateshead Glass' by Simon Cottle
''Davidson Glass - a history' by Chris and Val Stewart

plus the various booklets and catalogues published by the Pressed Glass Collectors Club.

There are also individual issues of 'The Journal of the Glass Association" with valuable information.

The best individual reference source to Greener design registrations is now, I believe, within the GMB RD database. I also have a personal photo reference gallery of Henry Greener and Greener & Co. unregistered designs (about 300 images at the moment) which I hope to be uploading to the Glass Queries Gallery as a new separate database in the near future.

I've seen your images of the Davidson pattern 146 sugar bowl and the Greener & Co. RD 81160 sugar & creamer and I will upload some of them to the appropriate Glass Queries galleries for you in the next couple of days.

I also have some photos a 'new' Henry Greener unregistered design which I will try and show on the GMB this evening.

Fred.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
Fred,
Thanks very much for all that info, I think we have most of those titles and phamphlets as my folks were members of the pgcc. Are there any Greener pattern books?
In addition to your vast greener picture catalogue, over the winter I thought it only fair to shut my father in a room for several months to take pictures of all their glass. He’s now finished, once edited we will have a comprehensive collection of pictures that could be added to the glass gallery as there are a few not listed,. This will be a project for the winter months.
Cheers Mike

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
I am not aware of any extant Henry Greener or Greener & Co. catalogues or pattern books which is why I think that an open-access reference database of their unregistered designs would be particularly important.

The only Greener glass pattern documents that I know of were in a six-page advertising insert which appeared in The Pottery Gazette of 1 April 1 1887, four pages of which of which have illustrations of glass ware. One page is shown on page 82 of Colin Lattimore's 'English 19th Century Press-Moulded Glass', but the other pages do not seem to be generally available in the public domain.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand