No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge bucket bowl drinking glass??  (Read 1308 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Huge bucket bowl drinking glass??
« on: May 10, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
Hi,this glass is 29.5 cm ht and 17.5 cm in width!,it has a ring with striations and tooling marks.The base is folded and has a polished Pontil with marks still visible from the Pontil rod.The blade knop is solid and the stem either side hollow,the glass itself has some small air bubble an a few white stones within .When I picked it up I wasn't really expecting much,but all of the above plus the classic feel of wear when you run your finger nail over the folded foot makes me wonder if this glass may have some age to it?I can only add it's fairly light for it's size,I wonder if it was made for a shop window? The glass next to it is a large modern wine glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Huge bucket bowl drinking glass??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
Having had a tad longer to muse over this intriguing glass I thought it maybe useful ,for me as much as anyone else,too air some of my thoughts.If this was a ordinary size glass I would certainly be thinking about a date of 1800/1830,classifying it as a amethyst regency glass and in the folded foot revival period.Backing that up would be the obvious striations,it's leaded,small air bubbles ,small white stones,
And the feel of wear on the folded foot edge.A few things I'm not sure about is the hollow stem either side of the knop,it's size?,what could it have been made for?the colour is a tad paler and in the red,brown spectrum of amethyst,but that maybe the size and the hollow stem giving it a different look from the smaller glasses?Anyway these are just a few thoughts that may jog a few with others,many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »
I've recently read a snippet about large toddy lifting glasses,they would be used to mix various cocktails and then a toddy lifter would be used to dispense it into smaller glasses.The article I read was about rummers ,but I wonder if it was used for all sorts of alcoholic beverages in various type glasses.I can imagine this glass with a matching set of smaller glasses.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 07:05:20 PM »
HNY year all,I still haven’t really got to grips with this glass yet ,although I have seen lidded Georgian glass of this size being described as being used in drinking clubs as a test of manhood !?…anyway thought I’d give it a bump ,thanks .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand