No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Obelisk object signature not readable ID = Youghiogheny, USA  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Timeobject

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • Nederland
I have a question about a signature that I can not decipher.
Here the photos of the object and the signature, someone can tell me who is the creator of this object.
Thanks in advance

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Obelisk object signature not readable
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »
The signature looks like Youghiogheny - the name of a glass artist who sometimes made paperweights.  I don't know anything about him, but he or she may have been offered by Selman at one time. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
Youghigheny was owned by John Triggs and made lots of stained glass sheet glass since the late 1970's. He also opened a hot shop and they made paperweights and other items. They are still in business in South Western Pennsylvania. John passed away a few years ago but his children still operate the company. In the 80's John shipped a lot of stained glass sheet to China where it was made into repro Tiffany style lamp shades and then sold back to the US. He had some formulations and colors that were unique and were commonly referred to as Catspaw. They had a couple of sculpture/paperweight  people from the Pittsburgh area working there at one time and this appears to be a derivation of their style.

Offline Timeobject

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • Nederland
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
Thanks for the extensive answers, I am very happy with many thanks

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Obelisk object signature not readable ID = Youghiogheny, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
Indeed, thanks!
Knowing who made the stained glass panels for the repro lamps is just wonderful.
No wonder so many of us like them so much, even if they're not Tiffany. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand