No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 18th century Milchglas schnapsflasche - my oldest piece of glass  (Read 7090 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Re: 18th century Milchglas schnapsflasche - my oldest piece of glass
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 07:56:20 PM »
Hi, I have no idea where these come from exactly, but I just want to show one "Milchglas" example I have, with a  more simple floral decoration.
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »
Mat, sorry I must have missed your post originally.  Your flask has many similarities with the Fluhli glas flasks doesn't it?  The overall design, the way the flowers are painted and the decoration around the neck and sides of your flask is also very similar.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 07:56:21 AM »
Yes, you are right, it is very similar. There is only one thing that makes me think it might be from elsewhere. I have seen quite some of these bottles here in Greece, and I would think that if they were brought here in the 18th century it would be more likely they came from Bohemia than from Switzerland? Of course all of them can be brought here later in 20th century by collectors... Here is one more example of "Milchglas" ( height: 14 cm) I found lately. Unfortunately it is damaged, but it has an interesting shape...
Mat

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »
There is an almost identical bottle in the LaGranja book, and a similar decoration on another piece which says "viva Carlos III" - who died in 1788.

The bottles came in clear, milk glass and light blue.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »
My first thoughts were as Ivo's. 

There are two similar pieces in the museum collection, a vase with handles and a small bowl with handles.  Both have similarities in decoration with the red buds on black stalks although the overall decoration is to my eye less 'exhuberant' than that on yours. The foot on yours looks a little heavier and less opalescent than the museum example and it comes a little higher I think. The bowl is dated. c.1800, the vase dated c. 1833.
There is also a Jarron with a similar shape, the foot a little less high on the body than yours and a little more opalescent though.  Also dated c. 1800

The only caveat is that yours looks a little more opaque all over and the foot looks a little heavier. Perhaps yours might just be a bit later in date maybe? (or even earlier given Ivo's example of the Carlos cup)  Difficult to tell without seeing the handles as they are often opalescent v the opaque body.

m
Edited minutes later - oops - I'd not realised Ivo was referring to the bottle/flask and not the vase .  My comments about the vase stand though.  And I've realised Ivo did not refer to the Carlos piece as a beaker - my memory came into play as I've seen two beakers with the Carlos writing.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
Ivo,did you mean my bottle at the start of the thread when you said an almost identical bottle?

If so, and it's the pic you sent me then yes, really really, the decoration on the reverse side of my bottle (the floral decoration) is indeed almost identical.
hmm, so, is my lady Spanish?

One caveat - my bottle clearly has a 'half post' applied neck whereas it's difficult to tell whether the one in the book does or not - might make a difference to age perhaps?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
The other bottles in the book were done in half post, so probably the white one as well.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
This piece is in the Hungarian museum collection of Museum of Applied Arts

http://collections.imm.hu/gyujtemeny/spirit-flask/2516?ds=eyJxIjoiZ2xhc3MifQ%3D%3D&i=307

It is 13cm tall, mine is 9.5cm.

'Spirit flask

Accession Nr.:

Collection:
Ceramics and Glass Collection

Manufacturer:
Haban workshop

Date of production:
18th century

Place of production:
Hungary

Materials:
opaque frosted glass; pewter

Techniques:
painted in enamel

Dimensions:
height: 13 cm '

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 11:05:59 PM »
Link to a photo of some more clear glass versions in the Muzeum Karkonoskiego w Jeleniej Górze
The descriptor underneath photo says they are 17th and 18th century:
'Piersiówki ze Śląska i Czech z XVII i XVIII w. ze zbiorów Muzeum Karkonoskiego w Jeleniej Górze; szkło bezbarwne formowane ręcznie i malowane emaliami opakowymi / Fot. Archiwum Slow Food Dolny Śląsk.'

http://dolnoslaskosc.pl/alkohol-w-kulturze-stolu-dawnego-wroclawia-wodka,817.html

http://dolnoslaskosc.pl/userfiles/Kulinaria/SobelWodka/2_Fot_Archiw_SFDS.JPG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand