No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rostro style vase ID?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline AndreaA1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
Rostro style vase ID?
« on: June 05, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Hi,

I recently picked up this rostro-style vase at a Vancouver-area thrift store. Tragically it is damaged, with one of the spikes at the top broken off. But it cost almost nothing so I thought it would be an interesting identification exercise.

What do you think? Have I located a lost Italian treasure, or a second-hand modern copy?

The pontil is ground, and it measures apx 6 1/4"h x 6 1/2"w / 16cm x 16 1/2cm. I cannot locate a signature.

I appreciate your time and input.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline AndreaA1

• Members
    • Canada
Re: Rostro style vase ID?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 03:51:52 AM »
So I know I need to be patient, but everyday I sit in my office looking at this peculiar vase wondering just what the heck it is.

The Barovier photos below are reminiscent, but then I located what I believe to be one by the same maker here:

http://www.johnsalibello.com/accessories/vases/green-murano-glass-urchin-vase/

So I still don't know the make / artist, but at least I know it's vintage Italian.

Does the second (green) vase help?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
How do you know it's Italian? The green vase is unlabelled, so I suggest its ID and even date are more hopeful than accurate, particuarly as the seller has most of his vases labelled Murano...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline AndreaA1

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:35:24 AM »
Thank you for your very good point, Lustrousstone. As it happens I have answered my own question. The vase is new and chinese in origin, being sold by high end decor stores. I'm relieved to have the puzzle solved!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand