No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival Vickers 1554 Set Wine Glass  (Read 1766 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Percival Vickers 1554 Set Wine Glass
« on: July 27, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
I was lucky enough to be shown this by a fellow collector recently. It's part of the "1554 set" of varied drinking glass shapes which appears in the 1893 Percival Vickers catalogue - this one is a wine glass.

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Percival Vickers 1554 Set Wine Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 03:46:04 PM »
This was in fact just one of a set which the collector had. The company did a range of cut & engraved tableware sets using a numbering system that started at 1500. The earliest of these sets came out in the 1870s and several of them are fairly common today, others very difficult to find.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 02:11:27 PM »
very attractive  -  do we assume this 'set' is only four pieces in total Neil, or are there two more glasses?                  I think we might name this design as 'fan splits and trellis'. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 02:48:24 PM »
I recall the collector had a full set of 6 wines in this pattern. I haven't seen anything else from the 1554 come up but the pattern was used on a full tableware set, everything bar a celery.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 11:54:33 PM »
Interesting and I like the engraving.  It reminds me of coal mines for some reason. 
Are the bowls quite small?  I just ask as I have some Rheinische Glashutten wine glasses from around that period and the bowls are quite a bit smaller than we would normally drink from -  seem to go through the wine more quickly with them  ;D

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 07:45:58 AM »
They made several sizes for the type of drink - sherry, port, claret, hock - it is tricky to work out which one you have as the differences are minimal. The smallest I have found is a liqueur, 9cms tall.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
mine are actually wine glasses (hock) but each Christmas I'm always surprised about how small the bowl is ... probably because I usually drink from a glass like this - 380ccm.  So it feels strange every year  ;D
https://www.riedel.com/en-gb/shop/sommeliers/riesling-440090115

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand