No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two OKRA paperweights with initials, pattern no. to the base and year 1984  (Read 4172 times)

Offline LunarFaerie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • iridescent glass
    • Scotland
Hello again,

I'm looking for a little help regarding two paperweights bought at auction.

They are both marked to the base but I can't find a detailed record of the signatures(initials) or the design numbers.

The larger one with the gorgeous swirled iridescent pattern is marked 'Okra 1984 NP No. 290'

The smaller one which has a beautiful trailing pattern and heart-shaped leaves is marked 'Okra 1984 GAP No. 364'

Could anyone tell me a little about the makers of these pieces please?

Many thanks, Susan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Okra Glass was Richard Golding.  Richard, a Master Glassmaker, is undoubtedly one of the world's leading exponents of surface decorated glass. Producing mainly iridescent glass Okra has been in continuous production since 1979. Richard now runs Station Glass where he makes predominantly unique pieces.

More here: http://www.artiusglass.co.uk/id11.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
I have a small list of the people who worked with Mr Golding but none of those initials match, maybe they relate to patterns.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
The response above left me wondering where Okra was located.  So, I googled the name and came up with the following (hopefully accurate) information.

Okra is based in Stourbridge, West Midlands, UK.  The current artists include Dean Hopkins and Karinna Sellars.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Pat

• Members
I think that's right. Many years ago my husband went there secretly on a Sunday to see Richard and get me vase for a present.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline keith

• Members
Originally based about a mile north of Stourbridge then somewhere else away from Stourbridge, Mr Golding sold the company to a large glassmakers, forget who and later bought it back, he later sold out to the workers there, don't know who and set up Station Glass (Leicestershire way ) I believe he's about to retire. You could email Okra, the last time I 'spoke' to someone they were selling old stock and not making anything at the moment, this was a while ago things may have changed, again  ::)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

Try asking Richard direct: email  richardgolding@stationglass.com .  He is a lovely person, very helpful.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline keith

• Members
Or better still what Alan said  ::) ;D ;D

Offline LunarFaerie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • iridescent glass
    • Scotland
Thank you for all the replies  :)

I have the paperweights listed on an auction site at present and thought I should share a message I received regarding the info I posted which turned out to be incorrect.

I found the incorrect info on an individuals website, who was selling Okra glass.

The message I received was in reply to the first line of text-which I had incorrectly stated in the listing.

It reads

"They are based in the West Midlands and are now run by Dean Hopkins and Karinna Sellars"

They ran the business into the ground over a 6 month period. Shut down 5 years ago."

I won't disclose on this thread who the message was from-suffice to say I have looked at their page, as supplied at the bottom of the above message, and they are in the position to be able to correctly supply full and factual info on Okra glass  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand