No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID of Thomas Web pattern on 12’’ bowl.  (Read 897 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
ID of Thomas Web pattern on 12’’ bowl.
« on: September 12, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
Hi, wondered if anyone could identify this pattern on a 12 inch diameter Thomas Webb bowl? I’ve tried Replacements.com and trawled the web but with no luck except for a similar pattern bowl on eBay here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thomas-Webb-ENGLAND-Footed-Cut-Glass-Crystal-Bowl-PUNCH-BOWL-CENTERPIECE-bAR/142574504494
...but they don’t state the pattern.  The bowl has an acid etched mark that according to 20thcenturyglass website, dates between 1950 and 1966, thanks.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Helen W.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20th C. Still refining!
    • UK
Re: ID of Thomas Web pattern on 12’’ bowl.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help you with a name for the pattern, but I posted recently about two mystery drinking glasses, cut with a pattern that contains one of the elements or motifs in your pic, the stylised 'fan' or leaf shape. I don't know how common this motif might have been though.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,67168.0.html

Does your bowl have the acid-etched Webb mark?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »
Hi Helen, yes, luckily my bowl has ‘Webb England’ acid-etched on the base so I mistakenly thought it should be easy! I had a look at your link thanks, and the fan shape is similar as you say but unfortunately I think it is relatively common - I suppose there are only so many cutting styles available. For my bowl, I have found other examples of both motifs on other Thomas Webb crystal...but not both together. I’ll keep a lookout for your pattern whilst searching about though...
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Helen W.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20th C. Still refining!
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »
Thank you. :) I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful with your bowl. I admire cut glass, but it's one of those large fields that I haven't got my head around yet.  ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand