No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Glass Vase Raspberry Pontil S&W Rockingham / Thomas Webb OR Walsh  (Read 7199 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Just adding the below link, which briefly mentions 'The Burst Foil' glass technique produced by Edward Webb and Joseph Webb, who both apparently produced their own versions in 1883.....(just under half way down the page, titled 'Burst Foil)

http://theantiquarian.us/Glass%20Types.htm

It goes on to comment: ''There are many different types of embedded foil work, of which Burst Foil is the most common and there are famous examples of it by Edward Webb’s 1883, “Oroide and Agrentine (SIC)”.  He advertised the use of gold or silver foil between two layers of glass, respectively.  Arthur John Nash was responsible for both designs.''

On a related note:
There a piece shown in the below link described as by 'D'Humy' (which was mentioned earlier), the poster mentions that 'An exact example of this vase is in the collection of the Bristol Blue Glass Museum' and shown online. However, the website sadly seems to no longer be active.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/125095-dhumy-aurora-glass-co-fish-vase-c-188

And also a couple of other examples shown here:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/79547-aurora-glass-co-c-1890

I presume the first two examples shown are probably Webb? and the other example sold by Bonhams is indeed by D'Humy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
1) I would not make any id's without primary reference sources, on any of those foil pieces.

2) I know Thomas Webb & Sons made pieces with applied animals as they have been seen in the pattern books iirc (source Antique Stourbridge Glass) and also there is the marked piece in Gulliver which was reference earlier in this thread.

3) When the blackcountryhistory.org online site shows a bowl saying 'Webb's Argentine possibly' for maker, then I assume they don't mean Thomas Webb (in the dim and distant past I had this query in my mind, but had forgotten about it until you made the link to the Antiquarian site Greg),  since it appears that Edward Webb or Joseph Webb made a range called 'Argentine' and Edward Webb was a different maker to Thomas Webb and Sons.

So it is possible that both Thomas Webb and Sons and Edward Webb made foil encased glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Hi There Greg, I was searching for some glassware which was similar to a recent glass vase i purchased and
it lead me here to your Rockingham piece i wondered if you ever got to the bottom of the attribution ?
It strikes me as a very nice quality piece of glassware indeed the reason is the vase i have just
purchased also has similar feet and a Rasberry prunt in fact looking at your pictures  closely do you remember
was one of the feet slightly ground down to make the bowl sit flat on the surface as mine also has this on it and me
and my dad were wondering if this was commonly done to make pieces sit right ? I was hoping it might have been
an aid to attributing mine but maybe not thanks Dan

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
That's Stuart I believe Legsy

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
 ;D thanks once again flying free that's brilliant information i never really thought of
Stuart & Sons as doing much in cranberry glass ware thanks very much indeed...:)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have a Stuart bowl in a large version very similar design to yours.  I would probably describe the colour as ruby not cranberry.  It's quite a solid ruby red.  I can't remember if I put it on the board but I'm very sure I found a reference for it being Stuart.  It's very heavy.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
bowl attached - not sure what happened to my previous post.

It's id'd in Gulliver Victorian Decorative Glass 1850-1914 page 174 - there are three the same in different colours, amber, ruby and turquoise.  The turquoise is not like the blue on the splotches on Greg's vase.

Legsy your feet are more ribbed than mine but whilst your exact vase isn't in the book that I could see, there is a Stuart vase with the rigaree and prunts like mine in ruby with feet that are many more ribs than my shell feet - page 173 middle item.

Does your vase have some extra glass trails hanging down from the prunts by the way, apart from the rigaree going around the vase? Ah, I can see them now.   There is another vase in Gulliver on the same page, unidentified that has some trails with a clear glass round 'button' at the top of the ribbon trails which hang down.
Also a similar shape to that one bottom of page but different coloured glass and has the ribbon trail with buttons and that's unidentified as well.

So on that basis, I apologise as I'm not entirely sure yours is Stuart as Gulliver has them as unidentified.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Greg I found this:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1517772215/vintage-multicoloured-glass-bowl-on?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=island+studio+glass&ref=sr_gallery-3-31&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

It has the rigaree like my Stuart bowl and the prunts and the prunt over the pontil mark and the same shell feet.  They are all in clear glass as they are on my bowl.
The bowl in Gulliver page 169 with a RD no 390103 with the splotches over bursts foil is, I think, cased in amber and the applied lizards and feet are amber not clear.  It has no rigaree on it.  The feet are shell topped but with straight down feet not ending in a shell curl.

My  ruby bowl has an identified version in amber and turquoise but not the blue of your bowl - at least not in the book.

I'm thinking Stuart for yours and this, but not out loud as no evidence  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
No source for id but I'd bet my life those feet on that vase were done at Stuart.  They appear to be identical to the feet on my vase.
The base too.

So is this an unknown decor from Stuart?

m

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Victorian Glass Vase Raspberry Pontil S&W Rockingham / Thomas Webb OR Walsh
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2023, 11:27:06 AM »
Thank you M, sorry not to acknowledge this earlier, I have just noticed your post.

Thanks for the link, that's indeed an interesting comparison, I suspect your are right with the Stuart attribution.

I'm afraid I'm not sure if this is an unknown decor for Stuart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand