No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification of amber colour vintage glass vase  (Read 1031 times)

Offline dmst

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Netherlands
Identification of amber colour vintage glass vase
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »
Would appreciate any help in identifying the maker and time period of this amber colour glass vase. The vase has a red colour at the top and has a black design on the outside of the vase. It has a height of 20.5 cm and a diameter at the widest point of 26cm. It is also very heavy glass - 806 grams. Not sure if there is a makers mark on the bottom of the vase - could be an "N"or just part of the pontil mark.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dmst

• Members
    • Netherlands
Re: Identification of amber colour vintage glass vase
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
I should also say that we are in Nederland and it is highly likely that this vase is either Dutch or European in origin. Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
Hi dmst and welcome to the board :)

I cannot help with identifying your pretty vase but hopefully someone else will recognise the technique and be able to help you.

I don't think there is an N mark on the base. I think it is where the pontil rod has been neatly snapped off and leaves the pontil mark.

It is opalescent glass with what looks to be burgundy or dark red iridescent casing at the top and trailing to match.
I am wondering a tiny bit about Poschinger as they did make something similar but I don't know if they used these colours or if they left their pontil marks like that.

I hope someone else will be able to help you more.

m

Offline dmst

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts. I was feeling so frustrated that I could not identify this vase, that I decided to carefully wash it and try and take some better pictures. It is amazing what a gentle wash can do to a bit of glass. Low and behold, a makers mark on the bottom of the vase - "Todd 99". I am afraid that I am still none the wiser though.

As you can perhaps see from the additional pictures now posted, the glass is not quite as opalescent as it appears in my original pictures. Someone suggested to me that it might be Amberina glass. I have very little knowledge of glass and I am not sure - what I have seen of Amberina is much more red than my vase - you are completely right - it is more a burgundy colour.

Do the new pictures and makers mark give you any new ideas?

Thank-you so much for your help.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »
the only thing I could find was someone called Todd Phillips (Quoizel?) where there seem to be a lot of trailed opalescent type lampshades.
That might be worth looking into as the colours are quite similar.
Long shot but might be.
Signature is not the same but might be different time/different place/different person signing it for him?

m

Offline dmst

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »
Yes... I saw that too. Todd Phillips was a glassblower in New Hampshire and now owns this company Quoizel. Maybe an inquiry out of left field, but I sent a message yesterday to the company via Facebook with pictures of the vase. Will let you know if I get anywhere. Thanks again for your help.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 03:38:44 PM »
You're welcome :)

Please do let us know if you find the artist.  It would be good to have a resolution on the board.
Otherwise hopeful that someone else will come up with the answer for you.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand