No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bagley? Impressed Tudor Rose motif  (Read 6983 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Bagley? Impressed Tudor Rose motif
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 12:37:19 PM »
:D :D :D
That's exactly what the mark on mine looks like, Leni.
5 petals, with a bit sticking out inbetween each petal, and a centre circle that goes in, with a rough texture. The flat bits that would sit on the table are ground to be flat. How's the colour of your glass? Mine is definitely yellowish. It does not look in any way Scandanavian, with this tinge!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »
It's not too bad.  I wouldn't describe it as 'yellowish', although perhaps it's not quite as clear as my Scandi votive holders!  

I should of course have also mentioned that it's only about 2" high!   :oops:   :roll:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 01:44:46 PM »
Thanks Frank  :D  :D

Here's a link to one of the Tudor rose style pieces, with Pip showing her motif.  It's in the first posting:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5724.0.html

Hers has a dubious Tapio signature...
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 04:51:07 PM »
Well spotted Max!  I bought this book just a couple of days ago and hadn't reached that section yet.  So what is this mark (bit confused) Bagleys or Rockware?

shugdens

Re: Bagley? Impressed Tudor Rose motif
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:41:32 PM »
Thanks to max for the link, i got a vase on a car boot a few months ago. I wouldnt say it was yellow though there is a very slight yellow tint when viewed from a certain angle.

I have started buying intresting glass pieces just for the sake of this site recently. :hiclp:

I sold an Orlik signed ash tray on ebay the other week & the buyer had put the info on this site si I started using it  :thup:

I am a dealer but love glass & have some very unusual pieces waiting idenification, Bohemian glass is getting me confused at the moment. I got 15 pieces of it described as murano just before Xmas.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
I think the Tudor rose comes either from the period (1962-68) after Bagley's was taken over by the Jackson Group, or a bit later under Rockware..  For a while, glass was made under the White Rose Crystal trade name.  Not much was produced in the way of new designs, but some of these vases were produced with the rose-impressed base before Rockware eventually turned the factory back to bottle-making.  Don't remember any mention of Artis, but that doesn't mean it ain't so.

Now if I can only remember where I got that info.  My first thought is that I was told it in an exchange of emails with some descendants of the Bagley's founders when I sold them some old Bagley pieces a few years ago...  Will try and find it, but I think it got lost when my external HD crashed.  

shugdens

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 12:00:53 AM »
This is my vase, I think it will be sold this week probbly on Ebay as I've grown low on stock due to the seasonal holidays.
I did want to keep it a while. :-\

Ahh well I've got some intresting bohemian pieces to keep me happy insted. I'll show them off soon  :-[

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10:52 AM »
I sold an Orlik signed ash tray on ebay the other week & the buyer had put the info on this site si I started using it  :thup:

Glad my information was of help - and thanks for the ashtray, which was received fine. Hope you find GMB of use and interest - it is an open community and all are welcome!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

shugdens

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Glad my information was of help - and thanks for the ashtray, which was received fine. Hope you find GMB of use and interest - it is an open community and all are welcome!
Glad you like the piece, are those ash trays by Chance? I doubt I'll come across another.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand