No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Feigl & Morawetz Libochovice no. 1917 w/ unknown Brass  (Read 5256 times)

Offline CraigR

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US
Feigl & Morawetz Libochovice no. 1917 w/ unknown Brass
« on: December 23, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
Hello, have a look:

I think I've identified this piece as a Feigl & Morawetz Libochovice no. 1917, thanks in part to old posts on this forum. However I don't have access to Marcus Newhall's book so I'm wondering if anyone who does can tell me when it was made or anything else about it. The brass(?) is somewhat of a mystery as well because it's not present on any other pictures of this vase that I've found.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Feigl & Morawetz Libochovice no. 1917 w/ unknown Brass
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:34:46 PM »
Hi,

I've seen similar brass collars and feet on both Libochovice and Reich pieces sold in the US. I've often suspected that they were added by an importer/ retailer as we don't tend to see them in Europe.

It can be hard to date Czech glass of this type as many patterns appear to have been in production for a long time.  The vase is shown in the pre- 1958 catalogue so was certainly in production in the 1950s. It seems many people date this design to the late thirties (understandable based on style and technique), but I don't recall any hard evidence for when the design was introduced.

Steven

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 07:42:24 PM »
Resurrecting this discussion as trying to find out something about another vase.

I'm  just wondering if the fact the piece is mold marked Czechoslovakia and also Tchécoslovaquie on the base has any bearing on the date it might have been made?

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 06:11:30 PM »
 ;D
I haven't seen this thread before - but I can't help noticing that the brass sections are not nicely in tune with the design of vase itself. It's some sort of forced marriage. I do not think the brass could possibly be original.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 11:33:19 PM »
I’d tend to agree it’s a forced marriage, but I think from the number that I’ve seen (all in the US) that this was done by the importer or retailer when the vases were new. I’ve also seen similar metal mounts on some S. Reich pieces. There’s an example here, but I think in this case the mounts look better and the handles tend to complement the design somewhat: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,60270.msg340088.html#msg340088

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 07:13:56 AM »
I was just wondering if the fact the piece is marked on the base has any bearing on it being made pre 1938.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 10:39:50 AM »
Sorry for the distraction, m.  :-[ I got rather annoyed at the brass plonked over the horses with absolutely no regard for them.

You are making an important point/query about the marks and dating. But I can't help.
Is one mark in French? If so, it might indicate made for export, and that might help a little.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »
Hi Sue :)
yes the brass is strange but I've seen it on other pieces.  I think they look quite classy with the mounts (but I also think they look better mounted simply on a plain black base  :) ).   With the gilt/brass mounts though, I can imagine if they aren't properly adjusted it would distract from the pressed image though but perhaps it's the pic of the item that shows the mount slightly in the wrong place?

Regarding my question about the Tchecoslovaquie mark:

In 2009 Marcus (iirc I think it was Marcus that was user Sklounion ) gave some very good information on this query about the French Tchecoslovaquie mark here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26653.msg146501.html#msg146501

I quote his whole post - the bold part relates to my question and is my bold :

'With less than perfect knowledge, I would like to make the following observations:

Rudolfova Hut moulds were predominantly made 1905- 1950s, by Ulrich and Christl, Mstisov. Only when that company, by then nationalised, became part of Sklarny Inwald, did Rudolfova Hut acquire an "in-house" mould-making capability.

Rosice moulds were mostly made for the factory, prior to 1946, by the Brno based H.Kiko mould-making company, which following the Benes decrees, continued as supplier, becoming Brnoform in the post-communist era, and supplying Rosice when it was, for a limited period, a part of Crystalex.

Libochovice moulds were supplied by both Czechoslovakian companies, tho' three tableware patterns definitely used imported moulds from the USA.

I have no information regarding Hermanova Hut's suppliers.

Raised marks to Inwald items are the exception, not the rule.

Hermanova Hut, Libochovice and Rosice items also carry the mark, but again not on all items. Another pre-war Czechoslovak manufacturer to use the raised mark on pressed glass was S.Reich.

The mark appears not to have been used after WWII.

Regards,

M
'

It was posted as  part of the conversation in this thread:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26653.msg146436.html#msg146436

I was just wondering if anything had transpired since then in terms of any new light on the matter.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 07:36:47 PM »
As an example, this vase and the Birds vase appeared in the Libochovice catalogue of 1930-1939:

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2010-1w-06-mb-libochovice-1930-1939-foto.pdf

As I noted on another thread, I had found the Birds vase in the pre-1958 catalogue on Marcus' DVD which came with the book.

I suppose I'm wondering if they still used the same molds with the Czechoslovakia and Tchecoslovaquie mold marked on the base, in their production after WWII.  i.e. just continued using pre-war molds to produce even if the molds used were marked Czechslovakia and Tchecoslovaquie on the base.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 08:12:36 PM »
Do we have any idea how many identical moulds were normally made?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand