No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Glass how to be sure it is original? The Mark of Origin  (Read 1764 times)

Offline mariapalu

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano Glass
    • Italia
Murano Glass how to be sure it is original? The Mark of Origin
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »
Hi,

I know Murano Glass creations are one of the most Italian imitated products.
I have seen there is a Trademark of Origin established by Italian law that certifies with certainty that every item is created on the island of Murano by master glassmakers. The Trademark was established by Italian law (Regione Veneto lex. n. 70 del 23/12/'94) and it is the only official guarantee of a glass product certainly made on the island of Murano.

The "Vetro Artistico® Murano" Trademark appears as an adhesive label that carries the producer's number code and the writing Vetro Artistico® Murano in gold leaf and it is applied to each product. If the client decides to remove it, the label is easily lifted with no trace or residue. Its removal will, however, cause the rupture the label to avoid any subsequent illicit use on products that are not original. I have found all the information above on this online shop www.YourMurano.com/us/ with many other details about the Trademark well described here https://www.yourmurano.com/us/murano-glass/murano-glass-trademark-origin-certified.html.

I would like to have your opinions about the Trademark and if you know other certifications to be sure to buy the original Murano Glass artworks.

Thank you.

Maria

Mod: Image of "the Trademark" removed in accrodance with Board policy on use of copyright material - for a view of the "label / Trademark", please see the second link above provided by Maria.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Murano Glass how to be sure it is original? The Mark of Origin
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 12:28:20 AM »
I could ask several questions about this subject, but it could get quite complicated.

Instead, I will just raise this:
Why is a removable, sticky label regarded as a trademark denoting proof of manufacture in Murano? What happens to the original, genuine article that loses its label - does it suddenly become "unproven as made in Murano"? Why not use a form of trademark that could be added as a part of the actual glass item.

For info, here is a webpage (translated to English) and headed "veneto internet" that apparently gives details of the "legislatura".
KevinH

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Murano Glass how to be sure it is original? The Mark of Origin
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »
Absolutely agree Kevin and Venini have been doing it for several decades with an acid mark. A legal acid mark would have more impact than a sticker and although I look for them on the Archimede Seguso glass I buy, mostly the label is missing.

This labelling carries little weight and I suspect most Murano collectors take little interest in it. This is the first I have heard of it!
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand