No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Registered Design 794358 - ID = J.W. Sutcliffe  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Registered Design 794358 - ID = J.W. Sutcliffe
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:35:31 AM »
If you can find 794358 I'd be most grateful.   Presumably 1930s, it is somewhere between a Straw Dispenser & a Giant Sugar ditto.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Registered Design 794358
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »
It would be July 1934 but it's not in the Blue Book nor on the Great Glass number listing, so we'll need to wait for Paul.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »
yes, I agree with the date of July '34 - probably around the middle possibly.            It's absence from the Glass Association Blue Book is most likely for the usual reason that this item has been allocated to a different design CLASS - probably CLASS IV.
I shall be at Kew - for reasons other than glass next week - so will collect details of this Regn. assuming I can locate this one in the records. 

Is Ailurophile able to tell us how this particular design has surfaced  -  is it possible for us to see a picture of the piece?

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »
Yes, indeed, I'll see to it to-day.  I also have some more information.   Thank you both.

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:40:03 PM »
Having discovered a patent number on the metalwork, I traced that as shown in the attached photo, which categorises the jar neatly as measured-quantity dispenser of granular material - sugar probably.  That would pin it down to restaurant use, I think, as it weighs 650g empty.  I have yet to experiment with the amount it dispenses.  The RD number is shown on the base, which also has a moulded diamond containing an "s".  I think the circle is part of the moulding procedure.  There is also the number 2 on the left of the base (somewhat obscured in the photo) & No    456 in the right.

You might well already know this, but having struggled with a number of patent number websites, I found this to be incredibly easy to use & very productive:

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/?locale=en_EP

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:06:19 AM »
The patent of course only applies to the top. The registered design may apply to the whole thing or just the glass.

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »
Yes - the patent details are shown in one of the photos.  It is interesting to learn the RD number might include the metal top.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »
Images from The National Archives at Kew now attached, and as can be seen 794358 from 10th July 1934 was allocated to CLASS IV as suggested.      Of the thirteen CLASSES which the Board of Trade set up to accommodate various materials used by British manufacturers, CLASS IV was dedicated to Earthenware, so why this glass design ended up there I've no idea, other than the old, and much earlier suggestion of some subterfuge by Registrants to hide their inventions from competitors - speculation only of course.
As can be seen, the metal components are absent from the original factory drawing, so this Registration appears to have been confined to the design of the glass body only.
Should the Register entry (BT 53/68) be less then legible, it reads:-

""No. 794358   /    CLASS 4    /    Date of Registration 10th July 1934.   /
John William Sutcliff, (British Subject) 10/14, Charterhouse Street, London, E.C.1.
Address for Service:-         as above
4th February 1935.          In pursuance of an application received on the 17th December 1934.        Leonards Products Limited of 110, Cannon Street, London E.C.4. Registered as proprietors by virtue of a deed dated 26th November 1934 and made between John William Sutcliffe of the one part and Leonards Products Limited of the other part.
Address for service:-  as assignees, as above.
9th August 1939 Time for payment of extension fee enlarged until 10th August 1939.
9th August 1939, COPYRIGHT EXTENDED FOR SECOND PERIOD OF FIVE YEARS
Copyright expired 20th July 1944""

At least that's what I think it says  -  but it means nothing to me, so leave it to others better informed to perhaps put some flesh on the bones.

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 05:29:16 PM »
Gosh, thank you!    :)    What a wonderful lot of information.  I can see that Leonards Ltd were wiped off the companies register post WW2 (as were many others)  but would welcome any information others have.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »
Paul, that's super, thank you. 

Ailurophile, have a look at this earlier topic which has more about J.W. Sutcliffe https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66014.0.html  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand