No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stunning Alabaster Glass / Opaline Perfume Bottle. Bohemia ca. 1820-1840  (Read 11070 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
What a beautiful addition to your collection.....congratulations!  It would seem to make sense to develop this thread, rather than start a new one.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Mars from Isergebirge

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Isergebirge
    • Poland
Re: Stunning Alabaster Glass / Opaline Perfume Bottle. Bohemia ca. 1820-1840
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2023, 07:25:29 PM »

I think Franz Pohl was Josephinenhutte?

He ran both Josephinenhutte AND Karlsthal, cf. S. Żelasko "Grafflich Schaffgotsch'sche Josephinenhutte..." (Passau 2005). Hoffnungsthal was founded by Preussler, Matterne and Preller Jun. All three glassworks - Josephinenhutte (from 1841), Karlsthal (from 1754), and Hoffnungsthal (from 1796) - were in Silesia, specifically the Isergebirge. John Quincy Adams visited Hoffnungsthal in 1800, as well as Neuwelt, making interesting remarks.

[/i]

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2023, 08:06:54 PM »

Thank you for clarifying this :)  I'm sorry my response in reply #15 was a bit confusing because I was confused.  I've only recently been reading about Franz Pohl
 on something to do with paperweights and realised about the different factories.

m

• Members
    • Isergebirge
    • Poland
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2023, 08:15:36 PM »
He returned to Silesia in 1837 and married Preussler's only daughter, Amalie, in 1839 (the famous Preussler-Huxt that changed the fashion in the region!), taking over Karlsthal in the same year or in the following one. Josephinenhutte was inaugurated in 1842. If you read the first Act of Gerhart Hauptmann's "And Pippa Dances!", you will see Pohl Junior as Director of the Josephinenhutte visiting the now-defunct Karlsthal - a two-hour horse ride through the snow - to eat trout with potatoes, drink champagne, and see a teenage girl dance, in what is actually the Schneider's Gasthaus, which existed through 1945. Hauptmann first visited the Isergebirge in 1890, and there is a fragment in his memoirs about how Karlsthal, the Gasthaus, and the area inspired him. His biographer writes that he "spent once a night in an old glassworks-inn in the Isergebirge, and what he saw there, inspired the first Act of 'Pippa.'"

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2023, 08:46:17 PM »
Thank you  - quote 'John Quincy Adams visited Hoffnungsthal in 1800, as well as Neuwelt, making interesting remarks.'

I've just looked that up and been reading the report.  Fascinating to read a report contemporary to the times.  The rivalry between the sides of the mountains is interesting.  My knowledge is severely limited really, and made more difficult by trying to understand the geography and place names.
He talks of Warmbrunn - which reminded me of some bechers I have seen with enamelled plaques with that name on (perhaps something sold by Dr Fischer auctions whilst I was looking for bechers with enamelled medallion plaques on them).  This seems to be one which has an enamelled picture of Warmbrunn:
https://auctions.schloss-ahlden.de/en/?option=com_bidding&view=commission&layout=details&id=36446

And welcome to the board :)

m

• Members
    • Isergebirge
    • Poland
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2023, 05:41:04 AM »

My knowledge is severely limited really, and made more difficult by trying to understand the geography and place names.

There are many period maps online, for example https://polona.pl/item-view/0a7077af-a0ce-46e8-ba8d-b996ba354635?page=0 at polona.pl. With their help, I found the remnants of the Michelsbaude between Karlsthal and Schreiberhau (Szklarska Poręba) back in 2018, starting a historical rollercoaster ride that continues to this day...

There are also at least several accounts from Karlsthal from the late 18th or early 19th by German authors (e.g. Christian Weiss, Johann F. Zollner, or JCF Gutsmuths).

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2023, 08:34:56 AM »
Thanks - I also have lots of books so there are maps in there etc. which help when trying to place people and objects and look at how close the glass factories were to each other etc.

My bigger problem is watching things like video tours of the Biedermeier period (the glass I love and the period I'm most interested in) and older glass in MUZEUM KARKONOSKIE W JELENIEJ GÓRZE by dr. Stefania Żelasko.  I think I've managed to track down an English translation of the information though which has been a huge help.

m

• Members
    • Isergebirge
    • Poland
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2023, 08:37:23 AM »

older glass in MUZEUM KARKONOSKIE W JELENIEJ GÓRZE by Stefanii Żelazko. 

m

I have all three Glasmuseum Passau-published books by her, and photos of much of the glass from the Muzeum Karkonoskie, can gladly share.

• Members
    • Isergebirge
    • Poland
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2023, 08:40:49 AM »

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2023, 08:45:53 AM »
Thank you for posting such a clear photograph of the canes :)  That's beautiful!  Are paperweights your area of interest?
I'm unlikely to find anything like that here in UK but I've been doing so much reading around them I hope I'd recognise one if I did see one!

Which books do you have please? and which would you recommend as the most comprehensive for the period 1800-1850/60?

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand