No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco fruit bowl frosted exterior & unusual 9 sided rim - ID = Walther Rosenchale  (Read 3758 times)

Offline billben

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
Hi Folks
Hope you are all having a good New Year, been a while since I have had chance to visit.
OK I admit Im tearing my hair out with this one.  Very nice quality Art Deco fruit bowl frosted exterior & unusuall 9 sided rim. (still havnt found a 9 sided by any maker)
Extremely well executed moulding of roses and the raised leaves underneath act as feet.  Immedite thoughts were Reich, Inwald and possibly Walther but despite extensive research not had any luck.   I may be grasping at straws but strange that when I turn the bowl over the band of roses looks very much like that on the Walther 'Haarlem' figurine group, the leaves on the underside of the Haarlem bowl also raised my interest.. but cant help feeling I am graspign at straws.
Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas welcome .. sorry picture quality isnt great ....
PS bowl is 10" in diameter 3" deep.

thanks in anticipation

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
Re: Art Deco fruit bowl frosted exterior & unusual 9 sided rim
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
Since posting this here Ive continued to research it myself but to no avail.
I did in fact find the same bowl in Amber on 'Worthpoint' (what is that site all about ? lol)
They stated it was a rare Jobling bowl - no evidence, but thats what they said it was.  I have
serious doubts about that.
There are one or 2 companies that did a rose pattern panel very similar (Walther, Bernsdorf)
but what I have been unable to find in any of my research is a 9 sided bowl of any description..
and on reflection I keep asking myself .. 'Why would you design a 9 sided bowl'
The fact there there has been no response here only adds to my consternation .. someone here usually
has at least some idea or thought about it  so clearly this really is a mystery.
I will keep on searching , although im virtually out of resources, and Ill report back when and if i do find anything.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
I think you're right to doubt the Jobling attribution: it's not shown in their catalogues. The 9 sided design suits a three part mould as you need model only one third of the pattern. It's also consistent with the three-footed design. I guess the designers felt that a twelve sided rim was too fussy.

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 11:54:09 PM »
MYSTERY IS SOLVED

Bellive it or not it was on Pamelas website all along .. id only looked 5 times LOL

Rosenchale bowl by Walther 1934

Thanks for those who looked anyway

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand