No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early 20th Century American paperweight likely by Boston & Sandwich Glass Co.?  (Read 4186 times)

Offline carlovision

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
I recently was given this old American paperweight with roses. How do you tell who made this and how old or rare/valuable it is? Its fairly small. Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
May be worth looking up St. Louis aswell?,I've seen something similar online,although the outer ring looks a bit neater.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
I'd agree with St. Louis, although the photos aren't too clear.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
It is not American.  Neither Boston & Sandwich nor New England Glass Co.  I agree that it is most likely St. Louis.  Great example.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

Saint Louis, but has been ground to remove damage, and repolished, given the profile.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline carlovision

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
Looking for a valuation please? More pix here. 296g or 10 3/8oz. & approx 3" diameter and 2" tall.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

Hi.  I'm sorry to say we do not give valuations on this board.  You need to contact a dealer who offers free valuations.  But in general terms, it is not very valuable!

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
As Alan says "But in general terms, it is not very valuable!", but that is a relative response.  I wish he had not used that expression (not very valuable).  My interpretation is that it is valuable but not the most valuable.  Nosegays do not bring a lot of money but this one has a lace ground and an outer garland, components that add value.  Please contact some of the dealers on this board or on the paperweight.org site to get an appraisal or an offer.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

Allan - I was trying to take account of the shape of it, as shown earlier in the thread.  That will reduce the value I think.

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand