No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent dolphin plaque/tile. ID = Colin Heaney, Australia  (Read 8972 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Any ideas who might have made this please?  I've searched Neo Art, Glasform, Lazlo for starters, plus general internet, but come up with nothing similar.  I think it might be intended to be hung on the wall as there is a deep triangular indentation on the back, but I certainly wouldn't risk it as its a heavy piece weighing 680g, 1" thick and over 5" in diameter.
Its got a lovely iridescence to it and looks well made.
TIA :)
Anne E.B

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Iridescent dolphin plaque/tile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »
What a lovely piece Anne.  Colin Heaney produces similar pieces in Australia.

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline samantta

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Polska
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
hello
So it's Colin Heaney plate with dolphins,
gorgeous.
https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/1263-heaney-colin-australia-glass/

S.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:55:25 AM »
Thanks folks for your comments. :-*
Thanks Cat for introducing me to the work of Colin Heaney.  Fabulous stuff!  What a shame he no longer works with glass.

I've since looked at Heaney's dolphin plaques and mine is similar, but not exactly the same.  It would be lovely if it did turn out to be one of his, as  I only have one other piece of glass made in Australia by Peter Reynolds.  Unfortunately my dolphin piece isn't signed, but then I did read some where that Heaney didn't sign early stuff, and that labels were used.  Anyway, here's hoping...

Anne E.B

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:45:12 AM »
Hi Anne. I think your plaque is most likely by Colin Heaney as suggested. The common dolphin design that turns up everywhere (also shown below) is not the only type he made. Another fairly common type shows two whales, mother and calf. I don't recall seeing your design before, however.

The one in the photos is about 14cm max diameter by 2cm thick, so similar to your specimen. The photo of the back might be the more interesting image. It shows other similarities to yours.

That one is signed and dated 1993, and it has two stickers. Contrary to the advice you received, almost every Colin Heaney piece that was intended for separate retail sale is signed, and most of them from the late 1980s to the early 2000s originally had a sticker as well. The exceptions are mainly things like individual flowers sold as a bunch in a vase or small pressed items such as pendant charms.

His studio was near to where I live and such things turn up in local markets. I'll keep a lookout for your design. I once answered an inquiry here 7 years later. We don't give up!

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Iridescent dolphin plaque/tile. ID = Colin Heaney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
Many thanks Trevor.  Much appreciated :-*
Its great that you can answer an enquiry 7 years later, and other members too.  That's the beauty of this forum.
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »
I've been watching this with great interest.  :)
The only time I've seen anything remotely like this before was when I was dribbling over a museum display of unique Lalique iridescent tiles, on a wonderful day out with Christine.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »
Playing football in a museum Sue :o;) Tut tut ;D
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
Oh no, I never, ever chase after balls. I have more interesting things to do.
Like headering the glass cabinets.    ;D ;D ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 12:53:09 AM »
Anne, here's another similar item on ebay.au. It is different again from yours and mine, but it does illustrate my point that there were several different designs of these wall plaques with ocean themes.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand