No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Surface decorated crackle type glass not Monart poss Loetz Kralik  (Read 21163 times)

Offline fatbelly

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nice things
    • Uk
Re: Surface decorated crackle type glass not Monart poss Loetz Kralik
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
Close up of the top finish and two images next to a Monart powder bowl colour 42b for comparison.If it’s not the same colour palette then it’s as close as your ever going to get
FB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 11:32:22 AM »
Thanks for adding these extra photos FB, you have managed to capture the close up detail well.

I am intrigued to know the origins of this vase!

Hopefully Frank will pop along at some point, would be great to hear his views on this one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »
With regard to 'who else might have made glass like this' I just thought I'd add this link as these are similar ish  in perceived overall effect and that they are coloured glass.  I remembered these from a previous thread moons ago but don't know if they have ever been identified as to maker:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/56653-mystery-glass

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 09:41:46 PM »
and also see this link to a previous thread (re who else might have made this kind of glass)

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58231.msg329900.html#msg329900

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 10:26:21 PM »
Durand also used fairly opaque coloured crackle glass but I can't see anything that looks even vaguely similar.

m

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 12:06:32 AM »
Thanks flying free.
I have seen the collectors weekly pieces.I don’t believe they are finished or are the same as the piece in the post but I can see the similar ish ness.Just one of those pieces of glass which will stay on the shelf as an unknown for now.
FB

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 12:05:43 PM »
Agree with your thoughts that they aren't quite finished/made in the same way as this one :)  I was just adding them as examples of layered coloured crackle glass because there are not that many examples.

On the colour combination front, I think it looks remarkably like your lidded dish but I know nothing really about Monart and I'm aware of the notes on Frank's site about those items that look similar, as well as taking into account Nigel's comments on previous piece about how the colour is laid on. 
On the colour combination front, I recalled seeing this pink and blue elsewhere and conveniently one of the examples I thought of is on the board here:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32913.msg178218.html#msg178218

I don't know how it compares bearing in mind yours is over white so the colours may not look quite as intense?  I'm not a glassmaker so I don't know how they might  behave or be perceived once they are overlaid on white. But thought it interesting to include here for some comparison :)

m

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 03:06:04 PM »
Thanks flying free.
I know the cellophane pieces well.I see them for sale as Monart all over the place esp at auctions.The powder bowl has a white whispy interior hence why I showed the comparison as the vase is laid over white also and the colours are to my eye very close.
Someone will attribute it to someone one day.
FB.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »
Can we have a photo taken directly side on in profile from a little distance so we can see the outline profile shape of the foot clearly please?

Sorry, I know that might not help but I am curious   :-[

I have to say I am also curious about the height.  The PC only shows 9" tall is that right?
And I am sure there is variance but there are other vases on the cat list showing e.g 6 1/2", 6 1/4" .  That's quite specific isn't it?

Your piece is about 190mm if I read your post correctly. They were European and so would their mm sizing  be more appropriate than the inches? They have a quite a few listed in the catalogue as 190mm.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
I know this doesn't pertain to the cloisonne finish, but I have a large lavender blue Monart vase which I would say has a very glossy shiny finish:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49400.msg278557.html#msg278557

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand