No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener 'Gladstone' Cream Jug?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
Henry Greener 'Gladstone' Cream Jug?
« on: June 27, 2019, 11:26:29 AM »
I know that Greener's produced a fair bit of commemorative ware, but I can't find another example of this piece. I am pretty sure that it's Gladstone, but I would be interested to know what others think. It has the Greener Lion in the base.

Thanks in advance Penny
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Henry Greener 'Gladstone' Cream Jug?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:28 AM »
Hi, yes I think this is Gladstone as we are hunting the Sugar. There is also similar Greener items of Disraeli which I am struggling to load up a picture of but will try again later. There’s more info on older threads on here. Cheers Mike

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:44:20 AM »
A picture from our files. Two on left are Disraeli “Earl of Beaconsfield” rd 325547 1878. Gladstone on right, we don’t have an rd just trademark in our files.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »
Here is a picture of the matching Henry Greener Gladstone sugar bowl, produced to commemorate Gladstone's re-election on 1May 1880.

These usually have the 1st greener lion trademark (used between 1875 and 1885) but no registry date lozenge.

Fred.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »
Thanks for showing that Fred, dad wants one of those sugars, is it for sale?..
By the way we’ll done for all your hard work uploading recent photos to the gallery.
Cheers Mike

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the Gladstone sugar is just a reference file photo, so no real example currently in my possession.

Fred.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 05:46:49 AM »
Fred,
I thought that would the case, he’s been after one for ages.cheers Mike

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »
Thank you Mike, Fred...good luck with finding that sugar bowl Mike, I have a lovely Davidson white milk glass sugar bowl lid with a cat finial that I would love to match up with its dog handled bottom half, I don't suppose you have one of those in your cabinet do you? Strange really, I don't think many of us these days would appreceiate portraits of politicians staring at us over a cup of tea every morning...Boris maybe!  ;D
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 08:52:46 AM »
Hi, I don’t think any of our recent politicians have done anything to commemorate but that comment should be for another forum. See picture below of our Flint Davidson pieces I think are similar to what you mentioned, cheers Mike
I’ve sold a few lids on eBay which my folks accumulated , it could make someone’s day if they want one

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 07:26:16 AM »
Wow! Is there anything you don't have in that cabinet of yours, apart from that elusive sugar bowl that is, I think it's time you opened a museum. And yes, I suppose I ought to put that lid on ebay even though I am rather attached to it.
~ Linda Poindexter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand