No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian pressed glass posy boats. Sowerby Greener Moore Bolton Davidson  (Read 1969 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Here is a beginning of a thread of Victorian pressed glass posy boats. From around the 1880’s
The first I believe are Edward Bolton with variations of The “Grace Darling” Pattern and then some by Edward Moore.

Pictures are from my files which weren’t specifically done for this site so I hope they workout. Cheers Mike

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Picture 3 from the previous post top row Edward Moore with two Edward Bolton Gondolas below.
Pictures below, one with the wheels on right is Davidson one on left Bolton.
Pictures 2 and 3 Burtles Tate and co.
Picture 4 Henry Greener, large ones have the trademark but the small ones do not.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Here are some Sowerby ones which have been mentioned before. I think we have more boats than the current Royal Navy. I think there will be a few more to add later including a large Joseph Webb. Cheers Mike

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
Lovely collection Mike, I never realised there were so many different boats. Amazing that some of those stands have survived, maybe there is a cabin out there somewhere.  :)

Penny
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Hi Penny, evidently the Sowerby stands are extremely rare and hard to come by in good condition. Dad also wants a cabin for his gondola. I shall find out if he’s seen the gondolas in different colours.
Cheers Mike

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
What a lovely collection.  I haven't ever seen a pink/red one before. 

Have you got any pictures of the cabins.....I bet they get separated......happy to keep an eye out for you. 

I know I have at least two boats in a box that I haven't opened yet.....will take pics to add to the thread when they turn up. 
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
This comment is incorrect “ with two Edward Bolton Gondolas below” as I believe the Gondolas are American Hobbs and Brockenier.
Apologies…

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand