No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Three small burgundy/amethyst cut to clear glass "bowls"  (Read 946 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Three small burgundy/amethyst cut to clear glass "bowls"
« on: July 06, 2019, 08:42:10 AM »
When these came out of the box a few weeks ago, I didn't really give them much of a look, and mentally labelled them "moulded, bohemian, mass-produced, for boot sale".

As I have been doing such a lot of research on other pieces, I started to see similar pieces that were a little more interesting than my original thoughts, so I have had a closer look. 

There are very slight differences, consistent with blown and cut pieces.  The bases have very fine striations under magnification, and are very, very slightly concave.  Those fine striations are also apparent in the cutting.

At 8.25cm rim dia. x 6.25cm high, they are an odd size for anything I can think of.  Too small for wine rinsers, would be OK for a finger bowl for me, but probably not for most people, too small diameter for dessert bowls.

I was starting to wonder if they might be VSL, then I saw some pieces attributed to England.  So I decided to put them here and try and get some help.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Three small burgundy/amethyst cut to clear glass "bowls"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »
reminds me of Japanese bowls but they might be a little too big  (rice? appetisers? maybe?  not entirely sure of all their various uses and sizes).
I'll have a little look about and see if anything pops up.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 05:18:52 PM »
reminds me of this sort of thing (scroll down to first large pic):

http://hotelaxasnihonbashi.com/eplan/48/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
actually I think that's what they are probably.
Just wondering what they are for given the size.

And just need to say I'm not sure if they are Japanese made or not (What I'm finding is a bit confusing info wise for example these sets:  https://www.dhgate.com/product/man-blown-hand-cut-to-clear-glass-bowl-glass/414881720.html   ).

And also these which in the same breath refer to both Edo Kiriko and Bohemian Czech glass  ::)

https://www.dhgate.com/product/hand-cut-to-clear-glasss-bowl-glass-drinkware/413773084.html

Could they be made in China maybe?

m

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »
M, sorry I somehow managed to miss your replies to this post. 

Thank you for the link.....I would not have thought of Japan.  However, the work on your first link looks "finer" than mine and, although it's not easy to tell from a picture, the glass also looks thinner and possibly better quality.

Looking at the second post, I had done an alibaba search but missed pieces like the ones on the link.  Again, the cutting seems much finer.  When I compare mine to the Asian pieces, they lack the delicacy.  Also, the bases on mine aren't as beautifully finished.

I'm starting to think fairly mass produced, modern, European, tea light holders.

Thanks again, M, for the links.  It made me look at more images of Japanese glass and led me to answers on some more of my mystery pieces.  I hadn't realised how many "Scandinavian" pieces have been found with Japanese labels.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
Genuine Edo Kiriko is not necessarily fine and delicate, though it is beautifully cut. I wouldn't rule out Japanese

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 07:46:35 PM »
or Chinese maybe?

I have a little Chinese battuto cut bowl, very small, very pretty, and is actually quite substantial,not lightweight at all.
It's not colourful enough to be one of my favourite pieces but I bought it to see it in person as it were and I like it :)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand